TCBC Board Meeting Minutes
December 4, 2012

Held at: Roseville Library Community Room Recorder: Gina Sapia

Board members present: Patt Seleen, Michele Brougher, George Hagemann, Gina Sapia, Diane Ziemer, Paul Frenz, Pete May and Gary Stang

Also present: Roger Fickbohm, Hugh Gitlin, Doug Nelson, Randall Huskamp, Paul Arsenault, Loren Stark, Alex DeVeyra

APPROVAL OF MINUTES

Patt made correction to include Mike Ruedy’s visit to the November meeting. Gary Stang made a motion to accept the minutes with that change, Michele seconded, and it was unanimously approved.

TREASURER REPORT - Roger

Roger went over the treasurer’s reports including the November balance sheet, income statement and cash disbursements ledger. Highlights included the listing of outstanding checks over 30 days and open receivables. He requested that each board member send him an email documenting the donation made on their behalf. He will be gone the months of March and April and he suggested that we have Tom Brix take over the treasurer duties while Roger’s away. Roger described his qualifications and it appears that he is more than qualified to take over for Roger. George will be the check signer. Patt and Roger will meet with Tom to go over the transition.

NEW BUSINESS

2011 IRS 990 tax filing – Paul Arsenault

Paul prepared the 990EZ for TCBC for the fiscal year ended 10/31/2012. He went over the highlights, including some of the more important questions listed on the return, schedule A, and the 990T (the unrelated business income tax return (UBIT)). TCBC’s advertising revenue is subject to income tax if the revenue exceeds advertising-related expenses by at least $1,000. The club has not had any UBIT to date. Paul also went over the MN Charitable registration form that is required to be filed annually. The MN Secretary of State currently has Charles Breer listed as TCBC’s registered agent. It was agreed that there should not be an agent listed. Michele made a motion to change the agent on record at the MN Secretary of State to none and change the address to the current president. Paul seconded and it was unanimously approved.

Patt will sign and mail in the 990 and 990T

Nature Valley Bicycle Festival – TCBC Sponsor Proposal – Hugh Gitlin

Hugh and Randall went over the sponsorship proposal prepared by Hugh on behalf of NVBF. They feel that the two organizations can really benefit each other since they both promote cycling. All net proceeds of the NBVF go to the Children’s Lighthouse which provides respite/hospice care for children. The sponsorship proposal includes a special website TCBC page on NBVF’s website. It would list TCBC rides and other info. It would also include TCBC’s logo placement on their website and brochures and NVBF will provide booth space to TCBC. The board will make a decision at the January board meeting and will get back to Hugh and Randall. Pete May will consider being the board liaison for this endeavor.

Safety Rules – Paul Frenz

Paul went over a few minor changes to the safety rule guidelines. He would like this document to be the one place to go for the safety information and guidelines. Michele motioned to approve the guidelines, Gary seconded and it was unanimously approved.

1,000,000 Mile Challenge Press Release – Michele Brougher

Michele would like to highlight the million miles with the club and not get into details of club member individuals. She wrote a draft of the press release and Pete May compiled a list of press release contacts. Patt will ask Don Picard if he is willing to go out to the various press release contacts for its submission.

2013 Board Retreat/Planning Meeting – Patt

The board members discussed whether or not a board retreat/planning meeting is necessary. Patt is concerned about the ride schedule. It’s having some problems and the board is concerned about it possibly failing. It was decided that it would be best to form a schedule committee to address the issues. Michele is best suited to address the various IT issues related to the software’s problems. She will see if Loren Lovhaug, Mike Beadles and Jim Pederson are interested in joining the committee.

National Bike Summit

Paul wrote a small article for the upcoming newsletter regarding the National Bike Summit. The event is March 4-6, 2013 in Washington D.C. Paul will come up with a good estimate of costs for 2 or 3 club members to attend the event. The budget may have to be adjusted to accommodate these costs.

Minneapolis Trail Proposal – George Hagemann

George described the new LRT re-route and Minneapolis trail proposal. He informed us that city officials are trying to spin it as being a positive thing for cyclists, when in fact; it wouldn’t be good for cyclists at all. He will keep the board apprised of any changes or updates.

TCBC Memorial for Terry Quam

Patt sent a card on behalf of the board. Patt suggested that the board send at $150 donation to PKD Foundation in memory of Terry.

UPDATES

Activity News

Doug has some articles but needs more for the January newsletter. There are currently 3 Bike U’s scheduled. The Jan/Feb newsletter needs to be completed by the end of next week.

Recognition Banquet

Two committees have been formed – a steering committee and an awards committee. The club’s cost per person will most likely be $30 or possibly more. The board feels it is acceptable to subsidize a portion of the event. The board would like to keep the price to attend to $20 per person.

Steering Committee- They are discussing the possibility of having a DJ at the event.

Awards Committee (Michelle, Diane and Gina McCrone) - They will change the format and focus on the million miles and how the club got there. They will create a very large pool of awards and rotate them annually. This will give more people the opportunity to be eligible for an award. Statistics captured through the mileage database will be used to come up with some awards and there will be no voting. Ride leaders will be recognized too.

Membership Report

Mary does not have a membership report for this month.

Update on Online PDF, Brochure and Activity News

Steve Scott is working on an update. He will visit in Jan or Feb with his ideas.

Volunteer Needs

Diane – we need to form a volunteer committee. Volunteer needs for upcoming events are being filled.

Recognition Corner

Jeff is always looking for suggestions for the recognition corner.

The meeting adjourned at 8:50pm. The next meeting is January 8, 2013 6:30-8:30 at the Roseville Library.