Three new (and fair...

Notifications
Clear all

Three new (and fairly easy) routes  

RSS
Lyle Koehler
Trusted Member Ride Leaders

Bikers are currently faced with two new challenges: An abundance of walkers and other bikers on the trails, and a severe lack of restroom facilities and water along the route. It helps to ride early in the day and to avoid popular trails on weekends. Also helps to ride in lousy weather; that reduces the number of walkers considerably. As for restrooms, portable toilets are missing from many local parks that normally have them available, and we're not allowed inside most of the usual fast-food rest stops. So carry plenty of water and don't drink too much coffee before the ride!

OK, so here are three rides that didn't have road construction when I rode them recently. No guarantees.

Como to Little Canada - 24 miles

This route uses the newly completed bike path along Wheelock Parkway. Although there are separate bike and walking paths around Lake Como and on Wheelock, it would be a good idea to avoid weekends, especially afternoons. Also, there are a couple of busy streets to cross, where extra caution and a lot of patience will be required. This ride has a rest/pit stop at Lake Vadnais.

Windmill to White Bear - 30 miles

Although it starts at the "Windmill" parking lot on the Gateway Trail in North St. Paul, the route heads north and involves very little riding on the Gateway. The rest is on roads. There's a portable toilet at the school in Mahtomedi, about 8 miles into the ride. After that, nothing, at least at the time of this writing.

Sucker Lake to Hugo - 26 miles

If you start in the morning from the south parking lot (the one off County Rd F), you can ride through the Sucker Lake trail before it gets very busy. The other trail segments in the route are not heavily used. There's a Mobil gas station about halfway through the ride, just as you turn onto Main Street. If you miss that you may be out of luck.

A reminder that all of my rides on the TCBC Ride with GPS site can be accessed via this link: Lyle K's Ride with GPS routes

And if you just want a map and cue sheet, most of them are available here in PDF format: Lyle K's maps and cue sheets

Ride safe!

Posted : May 9, 2020 11:33 am
Paul Loughman
Estimable Member

Thank you Lyle. Always like seeing what others are/have been doing. I look forward to the day that you and I (and others) can ride together again.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 9, 2020 12:06 pm
Linda gallant

As always Lyle, you are a leader...thanks.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 14, 2020 10:04 am
Share: