PLEASE TAKE A CUE S...

Notifications
Clear all

PLEASE TAKE A CUE SHEET  

RSS
Carol Fitzgerald
Trusted Member Ride Leaders

When you do a Solo ride, please take a cue sheet along even though you're using your GPS to track the route. As careful as most of us ride leaders are in providing the most accurate Solo routes, ridewithgps does some weird things (creates little spurs, goes around roundabouts in the wrong direction, or suddenly tells you to make a U-turn). I've magnified the route, used Driving, Biking and Walking to see sections and have drawn lines where I want it to go. I've still missed a couple kinks if there's a bike path or an island in the roadway or anything else ridewithgps doesn't see correctly. My cue sheets have detailed (probably too much) informatiion, so please -- when in doubt, have a cue sheet in your pocket. And please don't hesitate to let me know if you find a kink in one of my routes. Thanks for riding my routes! Be safe and let me know if I've led you down a dead-end! Carol

Posted : September 13, 2020 2:51 pm
Jeff Ramberg
Eminent Member Ride Leaders

Interesting RWGPS comments. GPS was originally developed to guide military groups that sometimes had to retreat, abruptly change course or make deceptive maneuvers. Perhaps those route eccentricities are being carried forth into our ride loops (Ha!). Thanks for your well researched tours!

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2020 10:48 am
Stephan Hodges
Estimable Member Ride Leaders

I see the same foibles EVERY ride using my Garmin Edge 1030 with the RWGPS route. Interestingly, I had to use the RWGPS app one time on the same route as the bike computer (because the computer was getting really messed up), and the app got everything correct, and never once told me to turn right (or left), and the immediately contradict itself by telling to turn around etc.

So, somehow they've made their app more sensible, and it also recovers more quickly if you do go off route for whatever reason needed.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2020 4:31 pm
Johnny Pugh
Estimable Member Ride Leaders

The reason that RWGPS works so much better than Garmin bike computers is that RWGPS uses the ride leader's custom queues. When the ride leader designs a route, they also go through the queue sheet and delete any useless or wrong queues. They also add custom queues that may be needed to clarify a complex route intersection. Most Garmin’s don't use the custom queues and they may also have different maps than RWGPS, so they tend to get a lot of the turns wrong. Especially on routes that use a combination of bike trails and roads. In my opinion, the best way to navigate a route, with a Garmin, is to turn off turn by turn navigation and just stay on the route track that is displayed on the map screen.
I don't print a queue sheet, but I always have the RWGPS app on my phone with the route loaded. The phone app has the ride leaders queue sheet that can be accessed at any time along with your current position on the route. The RWGPS app will also give audio turn instructions, so you don’t even need to look at the screen.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 14, 2020 6:56 pm
Share: