Clear all

Understanding Minnesota Bicycle and EBike Law

3 Posts
3 Users
5 Likes
John Rogers
Estimable Member
Topic starter

The Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association (MPPOA) recently sent out information to help officers understand Minnesota Bicycle and EBike Law.  We bicyclists might also benefit from this information.

An important underlying fact that is alluded to throughout this information is that many motorists are unaware of the extent to which right of way is extended to bicyclists on the roadway - regardless of the availability of bike paths and shoulders.  Therefore, we must always ride defensively - even if we are legally justified in our actions.  We might end up being "dead right" in the event of an accident with a motor vehicle.

With that in mind, it is still important to understand the bicycle laws to ensure that we are operating within the law.  I think some of this information might have been posted elsewhere on our site previously, but I think it's worth reviewing again and probably once again in the spring before many of us venture back out onto the roads.

Understanding Minnesota Bicycle and EBike Law

Posted : November 1, 2023 7:37 am
Reputable Member

Thanks! The section on when it's possible to ride on a sidewalk and the additional legal ramifications had several new (to me) points. Many other items were new to me also. The article seems to be a good summary of the laws (with references to the actual statue numbers).

Posted : November 1, 2023 8:51 am
Mike Beadles reacted
Estimable Member

1. I did not know that when riding at night,  each side of the bike must have at least 20 square inches of reflective material. Page 6

Posted : November 22, 2023 7:45 pm
Mike Beadles reacted
Share: