Notifications
Clear all

Stillwater Lift Bridge opens June 1 for bikers and walkers  

RSS
Doug Nelson
Trusted Member Key Volunteer, Ride Leaders

Hot off the press is this long-awaited news from MNDOT:

Stillwater Lift Bridge opens for bicycle/pedestrian traffic on June 1

After nearly three years of extensive repairs and restoration, we will open the Stillwater Lift Bridge to bicycle and pedestrian traffic at 8 a.m. on Mon, June 1. Although the project was originally expected to be complete last summer, high floodwaters last spring and the discovery a cracked drum in the lift system along with additional work on the lift span delayed its completion.

Crews installed new drums and ring and pinion gears on the lift bridge in early May. Workers finished adjusting and fine-tuning the bridge’s lift mechanism before the Memorial Day weekend and newly hired bridge tenders finished their training this week. The lift span has been in use for St. Croix River boat traffic.

When it opens next week, the lift bridge will be part of a 4.7 mile bicycle/pedestrian “loop trail” system connecting the new river bridge with the historic bridge and other regional trails. The lift bridge will continue to operate and allow boat navigation beneath. When the lift bridge opens Monday morning the 2020 lift schedule will go into effect to accommodate boat navigation on the St. Croix River.

Maps of available parking and loop trail access in both states can be found at: mndot.gov/stcroixcrossing/design.html#minnesotaloop.

Posted : May 28, 2020 4:52 pm
Stephan Hodges
Estimable Member Ride Leaders

Great news!  I hope Linda Johnson adds some new extensions to her routes (and maybe publish them -- hint hint) to take advantage of this.

I didn't see any mention of the lift schedule? Do you have a link to that too? Do you know how long the lift is up, generally, when it's open/up?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 6:36 pm
Linda
Eminent Member Ride Leaders

@tabletguy

Hi Stephan 

Good to hear that you're biking thru this!  Yes, I do have a new route that will use the lift bridge.  It will go by fairy falls, the lift bridge and rustic road in WI, 50 miles and almost 2000 ft of elevation gain.  I won't do an extension on the border ride, but you could easily go that way into stillwater.  It would be a great downhill!

Stay safe out there.

This post was modified 1 month ago by Linda
ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 7:21 pm
Stephan Hodges

@Linda,

Thanks! What's the name of the ride on RideWithGps?  We're friends, so I would be able to see it if it's public.

It's fun to see what others are doing.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 8:01 pm
Linda
Eminent Member Ride Leaders

@tabletguy 

FF, SLB and RR

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 28, 2020 8:03 pm
Stephan Hodges

I guess it's not public. I don't see it. There's a "Stillwater Lift Bridge Tour" from September which could be edited to extend up to the new bridge...

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 29, 2020 10:53 am
Paul Loughman
Estimable Member

@tabletguy Go to the RidewithGPS club account and search on 'FF, SLB & RR'

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2020 11:57 am
Stephan Hodges

Thanks, found it!  I didn't think to check the club account directly, nor do a search. Great idea uploading to the club account. Right now, RideWithGps has enabled full turn by turn directions from club account routes.

So, @Linda, you could paste the route link here if you wanted.

ReplyQuote
Posted : June 1, 2020 12:39 pm
Share: