Please reinstate SO...

Notifications
Clear all

Please reinstate SOLO rides for the winter season

Stephen Hodges
Estimable Member Ride Leaders

I enjoyed SOLO rides, because I could go at my own pace, and I was still covered by the club's insurance. I was sick most of the summer so I tend to go slower than most.

Could we please have SOLO rides back for the remaining "fall and winter season" at least? Of course, along with existing group rides. I enjoy those also.

Respectfully,

Topic starter Posted : November 1, 2021 3:03 pm
Dick Stardig
Active Member Key Volunteer, Ride Leaders, Board of Directors

Stephen, thanks for your thoughts.  The TCBC Board understands that there are riders who enjoyed the SOLO ride program and its flexibility during the Covid closure period.  When the Board decided to reopen the May 1st of this year, we considered whether or not to continue SOLO rides concurrently with group rides.  But we found there would be some significant issues if we went down that path.  First, we checked with our insurance carrier that we have through the League of American Bicyclists and they indicated that insurance for SOLO rides would not be available once we restarted group rides.  Secondly, running the SOLO ride program concurrently with group rides would put a significant burden on our Technology Committee who put in a lot of effort handling tech issues for the club.  For these reasons the board has chosen not to run SOLO rides along with group rides.  Lastly, in the board's view, the core mission of TCBC is group rides.

It’s still possible, though, to use club ride routes for solo riding.  Any of the rides posted on the calendar that have Ride with GPS links can be used to print maps and cue sheets or can be downloaded to GPS devices.  Although there would not be insurance or mileage credit, riders would have the opportunity to ride at their own pace and on their own schedule.

Sincerely,

Dick Stardig, President, TCBC Board of Directors

ReplyQuote
Posted : November 18, 2021 8:12 pm
Share: