Meeting Minutes for TCBC

September 11, 2023

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Dick Stardig, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, John Rogers, Jean Bentley, John Benda, Gordon Fink, Ann Harris, Craig Larson, Roger Fickbohm

Non-Board Members Present: Pete Hawkins and Rick Okada

The meeting was called to order by Dick Stardig at 6:30 pm.

Reviewed the meeting minutes from August 14, 2023. A motion was made by Craig Larson to accept the meeting minutes and seconded by Gordon Fink. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

RideStats and Technology – Gordon Fink reported for Technology Committee

  • Bob Fix and Michele got together and Michele can set up individual ride participant limits in Ride Stats. Bob will be putting together videos on how to do this for ride leaders. This feature will probably be turned on for next ride season after the ride leader training is done. It will be set up so if ride fills up a waiting list gets started. One board member is concerned about this being used too widely and causing exclusion. We all agreed we will want to monitor this and provide appropriate training to ride leaders.
  • Website is ready for the annual meeting. Jim Pederson just needs the go ahead to make it live. Dick has received PDF of meeting notice and just needs updated bios from board candidates. Links to Annual Meeting will be available for the upcoming ENews.
  • Technology Committee continues to investigate new email options. They should have recommendations to the board by December 2023 with new service to start in January 2024.
  • Technology Committee continues to inquire about the interest in doing Zwift Rides in the off season. We discussed having these Zwift Rides also available Non-TCBC Members. Since we are not tracking mileage agreed this would be an option and may recruit new members.

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported on the membership report sent.  

Reviewed Membership report provided by Membership Committee. We had increase in membership for month of August. As of meeting time the Membership Committee was having an issue with Neon regarding getting the information on the renewal survey. The Membership Committee will get back to us regarding this survey and will email the members who did not renew lately to make sure they did not have issues trying to renew

Safety Committee – Jean Bentley reported for Safety Committee

Two incidents were reported in August. On one ride a rider riding in a group had flat tire and ripple effect of riders caused one rider to crash. Rider had broken thumb (which required surgery) and abrasions. Another ride reported a rider that was having heat issues during a hot August ride. Riders blood pressure dropped low enough for rider to pass out. The rider was NOT riding at the time and fellow members helped rider get hydrated. Rider went to ER after ride and was checked out ok but knows that they have to be more aware of heat issues.

Equity Committee Report – John Benda reported for Equity Committee

The new member ride in August was held in the evening and had fewer new riders. All riders enjoyed themselves and the ride met and ended at Market at Malcolm Yards. The next new member ride will be Saturday September 23 also at Market at Malcolm Yards. Committee put a call out to other ride leaders to help lead.

TCBC had a nice presence of volunteers at the Saint Paul Classic on Sunday, September 10th.

We had 7 people volunteering as helmet fitters (led by Linda Johnson) outside the Como Lakeside

Pavilion and 5 volunteering at our table inside the pavilion. At the TCBC table, we asked riders bike trivia questions and gave away stickers and candy. We also signed on 13 people as new members and gave them a free t-shirt or insulated mug.

Midtown Greenway clean-up has been postponed until October 11th earlier in the day.

Also planning TCBC presence at Minneapolis Open Streets on West Broadway on Saturday, September 16th from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. John will put a call out for volunteers for this event. Prize wheel and prizes will also be given at this event. John is going to get more shirts from Ann for this event. Ann will also order new shirts to be used for this event and TC-Marathon Event.

Alzheimer’s Ride is looking for Ride Marshalls for their ride on October 14th in Maple Grove. They reached out to see if our leaders have an interest. The Ride Marshalls would not be riding marshals but instead placed on places on the ride. John is going to post for volunteers on forums.

 Newsletter – Doug Nelson

Doug is on vacation – no newsletter update.

Treasurer Report – Roger Fickbohm

  • Operating Funds Account # 100-10 – $38,810.32 – $2,2112 Membership deposited Sept 5, 2023
  • Operating Reserve Savings # 101-10 – $43,215.55. Includes restricted savings of $19,000
  • Bank accounts reconciled to Bremer Bank as of August 31, 2023
  • All known invoices and deposits have been processed and posted.
  • Accrued Expense – $2,833.10 – Ride Stats for FY 2023 – based on 1,511 @ $2.25 = $3,399.75
  • Open Invoices for Sponsors $600.00- as of Aug 31, 2023
  • Prepaid Expense 1) Post Office $266.56, Steve Scott Owner, Banquet Rental Nov $300, VIP Picnic $175 Sept 12, Fall All Club Ride $150 Sept, Medtronic TC Exp Sept $1,158.75 – Total $2,050.31
  • Sock accounting – unsold, as of August 31st, sold 118 @ $8.00 =$944 – Cost 118 x $6.30 = $743.30. Sware Cost $24.51 = Net Profit $175.99. Remaining inventory 23 Pair @ $81.90
  • Roger plans to call Bremer – find way to transfer funds to members rather than issuing checks.

Banquet Committee- Dick Stardig

Annual Meeting date is Sunday, November 19th. The Committee met on August 23rd and finalized the menu. This information is needed for the Annual Meeting Announcement. Locked in on registration deadline date of November 9th. Website Announcement is ready to go live after we receive all of the Board Bios. The Committee is working on getting the ride leader gifts and Pat Diedrich will work on getting gift cards from Eriks for these. In the past Eriks has given us $30 gift cards for the cost of $25. Sponsor invites will go out in early October. The Committee is working on a meeting brochure and the board voted “Peewees (TCBC) Big Adventure” as the theme. We will get a cake from Costco (Banquets of MN does not do cake). Ann Harris will be working on getting volunteers.

Old/Follow-up Business

Halloween Ride

Jean Bentley heard from Lindsey at the Dock and Paddle (Como Lakeside Pavilion) to confirm location. We need to check with venue as the ride held at this venue in 2022, we had a five-day weather cancellation agreement. We need to make sure we have this for 2023 Ride. Ride is scheduled for Saturday October 28th with sign up deadline of October 23rd. The box lunch quote Jean got was for $15/box. We don’t know if this includes services charge. The service charge in 2022 was 18% plus taxes. No outside food is allowed at Pavilion. We have budgeted $1,000 for Halloween Ride but discussed asking for good will donations of perhaps $5.00 each. We got donations of gift cards in 2022 for Halloween Costume awards. We will try to get these for this year. A link for ride will be put in the ENews.

Charitable Contributions

In 2022 we did 10% of Membership dues and will do similar in 2023. In 2022 we did not do Move MN. We reviewed who we gave to in 2022. Some board members would like to see $ go back to Members. We discussed the history of TCBC always supporting Non-Profits that support the mission cycling and cycling related things. We discussed the Greenway Adoption Donation given in 2022. When we did this adoption there was a recommended fee of $300 – $499 to support this program. We give annual gift of $400 so we meet their parameters. A motion was made by John Benda to keep 2023 gifting the same as 2022 this was seconded by Pat Diedrich. Checks will be done in October by Roger and Jean H will coordinate getting these checks from him and Jean H will get them mailed out.

New Logo

Had brief discussion regarding the New Logo topic discussed previously. Dick agreed to contact Steve. Possible symbols in new logo could contain Biking, Healthy, Safety, Welcoming and Fun.

New Business

Budget Committee

Finance Committee will be meeting soon to work on the 2024 fiscal budget. Looking at combining VIP/Ride Leader picnics into one event. Pete Hawkins wants to review costs for ride leader training and said all ride leader training will be done virtually.

Merchandise

11 jerseys were sold between last board meeting and now. Ann is working on Pactimo giving gifts for annual meeting.

ENews

September 15th is deadline. John Benda will report on next Greenway Clean up Date. He will also post the Alzheimer’s volunteer request. Annual Meeting links will be part of this ENews. Halloween Ride will be posted in ENews.

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting, Monday, October 9, 2023

Annual Meeting, Sunday, November 19th

Halloween Ride October 28th

 A motion was made Ann Harris to adjourn the meeting seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 8:19pm

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert