Minutes October 2023

Meeting Minutes for TCBC

October 9, 2023

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Dick Stardig, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, John Rogers, Jean Bentley, John Benda, Gordon Fink, Ann Harris, Craig Larson, Roger Fickbohm

Non-Board Members Present: Pete Hawkins and Doug Nelson

The meeting was called to order by Dick Stardig at 6:30 pm.

Reviewed the meeting minutes from September 11, 2023. A motion was made by Craig Larson to accept the meeting minutes and seconded by Jean Bentley. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

RideStats and Technology – Gordon Fink reported for Technology Committee

  • In discussions with Michele the Technology committee came to the conclusion that using an email delivery service, similar to Google Workspace, will not eliminate the email deliver problems we are having. The committee will keep reviewing options.
  • The committee received good response to the Zwift topic on the discussion post. Some leaders have already been leading Zwift group rides. The committee will give further communication to the members about this. In winter of 2022-2023 we did GPS indoor challenge and this will be offered again this winter.
  • The committee reported that new members of Meetup group are in 30s and younger age groups. More non—A rides were posted this season.

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported on the membership report sent.  

Reviewed Membership report provided by Membership Committee. We had slight decrease in membership for month of September. Board reviewed the renewal survey.

Safety Committee – Jean Bentley reported for Safety Committee

No accidents reported.

Equity Committee Report – John Benda reported for Equity Committee

TCBC had a table at Open Streets on September 16th. Did not get any new memberships at the event but talked to a lot of people.

The new member ride in September was cancelled due to rain. Midtown Greenway Clean-up is planned for Wednesday, October 11th 5-6:15 pm. This information has been posted on all plat-forms. There is another ride with Minneapolis Public School on 10/11 and TCBC members are invited to attend. Ride for Alzheimer’s was promoted on TCBC platforms by John.

 Committee is starting to coordinate groups for Free Bikes 4 Kidz. Planning to have 4 or 5 volunteer dates for TCBC members. Christian Castillo from Free Bikes 4 Kidz will be speaking at a Bike U on October 19th.

 Newsletter – Doug Nelson

Bi-monthly reminders have gone out. Doug made a call for more copy for the recognition corner. We reviewed publication from one year ago regarding voting for Favorite Ride Leaders of the Year. Pete Hawkins and Patt Seleen are going to have Jim Pederson set the website up for voting. Doug will put information about members voting into the newsletter. Doug will also use last year’s format with an updated photo to report the annual meeting notice.

Treasurer Report – Roger Fickbohm

  • Operating Funds Account # 100-10 – $39,830.49 – $2,053 Membership deposited Oct 3, 2023
  • Operating Reserve Savings # 101-10 – $3,127.48
  • Certificate of Deposit Matures July 2024 #101-20 $40,000 – Includes $19,000 Restricted Funds
  • Bank accounts reconciled to Bremer Bank as of Sept 30, 2023
  • All known invoices and deposits have been processed and posted.
  • Accrued Expense – $3,116.41 – Ride Stats for FY 2023 – based on 1,511 @ $2.25 = $3,399.75
  • Open Invoices for Sponsors $400.00- as of Sept 30, 2023
  • Prepaid Expense 1) Post Office $266.56, Steve Scott Owner, 2) Banquet Rental Nov $300
  • Sock inventory as of September 30th $82.07 or 13 pair.
  • Roger plans to call Bremer – find way to transfer funds to members rather than issuing checks.
  • Roger will record Contribution Checks in Oct and print in Nov (same as last year 2022 or $3,050.00).
  • Changed 4th of July class to TCBC Group Rides – this will include Spring Memorial Ride – 4th of July Ride – Fall All Club Ride & Halloween Ride… See reports by class.
  • Sponsorship revenue of $400 not collected will be written off. Committee will get ok from Kate Kovar, head of sponsorship committee before doing this.

Banquet Committee- Dick Stardig

The Committee did not meet in September. The website announcement, board bios and proxy votes have all gone live on the website. Non-member registration was just set up by Jim Pederson. Ride Leader gifts will be $25 gift cards. Eriks will also throw in some extra gift cards for door prizes. Dick made a motion to do the gift cards, a second by Jean Bentley. Motion passed.

We discussed the gifts for door prizes. Pactimo is going to give something, we have t-shirts. John Benda will see of he can get swag from Park Tool. Committee is going to reach out to sponsors with invites and request for door prizes

Discussed selling t-shirts at banquet at cost of $15.00. Ann will get a new QR code to use. They are working with Steve Scott on brochure. Ann has gotten volunteers for registration. Dick is going to talk to venue about set up space for second.

Old/Follow-up Business

Halloween Ride

24th is the latest deadline for the food venue. We will ask for free will donation of $10/rider to help defray cost. The cost of lunch is $15 plus tax and surcharge/rider. Mugs and T-shirts will be used as best costume gifts.

Annual Meeting

The annual meeting format will be similar to last year with a power point slide deck. Board members will be presenters. Also need the 2022 Annual Meeting Minutes.

New Logo

Dick is following up with Steve Scott on this topic.

New Business

Volunteers of the Year

Dick asked board members to send nominations to him. Dick will send us a list of the past recipients.

July 4th Ride

Doug Nelson would like to get ok to book the shelter at Turtle Lake for July 4, 2024 Ride. $400 covers the cost of shelter/early start and race walk run permit. A motion was made by Jean Hurlbert to approve getting the shelter and seconded by Jean Bentley. There was no opposition, the motion passed. Doug will take care of getting reservation.

Finance Committee

Pat and Roger presented a draft of the 2024 proposed budget. We are again projecting a fairly large deficit. We currently have enough equity to support a deficit, but we cannot continue to run a deficit for very long. 

The draft did not have expense for TC Marathon event as board had not discussed if we were doing this in 2024. Dues income is staying roughly the same at $30,000. The Advertising Revenue budget was based on newsletter expense and related website and merchant fee expenses. We are getting a few extra newsletters and need to find out if any are going to Bike Shops. The Committee will have discussion with Kate Kovar to find out protocol for extra newsletters and to find out if Sponsorship Committee approves of this budget figure.

Had a discussion about only offering electronic newsletter copies for future new members. We discussed if we ever made this decision, we would need a least a year to let our sponsors know. This decision would also not be made without input of sponsorship committee. We agreed no changes will be made at this time.

Had a discussion about Advertising Promo, which includes sponsoring booths at the TC Marathon Exp and the St Paul Classic, and Promotional Items, which includes things like t-shirts and socks that may be given away if new members sign up at these events. The Marathon Expo booth is very expensive and did generate a fair number of new members, but not enough to offset the costs of the expo. Based on our average renewal rates (60-70%), we would need at least 40-50 new members to break even in 2-3 years. (or over 100 to break even in one year). Membership Committee reported we had 43 new members in 2022 and 24 new members in 2023, however we are not certain what their renewal rate will be. (preliminary results indicated only 3 out of 43 renewed). The St Paul Classic is much less expensive and would likely break even within 2 years. The board decided to budget for the St Paul Classic, but not the Marathon Expo. The board also agreed to budget $750 for promotional items.

 We agreed as a board that we need to keep working on a marketing plan to get new members. 

Discussed food costs and how this seems to keep increasing we will keep watching this. 

The Board approved the budget subject to a few tweaks by the finance committee and approval from the Sponsorship Committee. A motion was made by Craig Larson to accept the meeting minutes and seconded by John Benda. There was no opposition, the motion passed. 

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting, Monday, November 20, 2023

Annual Meeting, Sunday, November 19th

This was the last meeting for Board Member, Ann Harris – many thanks and gratitude were given to her. A motion was made Gordon Fink to adjourn the meeting seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 9:01pm

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert