Minutes October 2021

Meeting Minutes for TCBC

October 11, 2021

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Shelby Miller, Ann Harris, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, Mike Kubes, John Benda, Dick Stardig, Craig Larson, Pete Hawkins

Non-Board Members Present: Jim Pederson, Kate Kovar, Steve Scott, Doug Nelson, Edward Eroe, Bob Fix

The meeting was called to order by Shelby Miller at 6:30 pm.

The meeting minutes from September 13, 2021 were reviewed and corrections made. A motion was made by Ann Harris to accept the meeting minutes, and seconded by Pete Hawkins. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

Ride/Stats and Technology – Mike Kubes reported for the Technology Committee.

Ride Stats were not reviewed but were emailed to all Board Members for review. Questions regarding Ride Stats should be directed to Mike Kubes.

Technology –

  • There was a bug in the Ride/Stats system that scheduled one member for numerous rides. Jim Pederson fixed this and it has been reviewed by Michele Brougher and Bob Fix.
  • Mike Beadles has volunteered to help on the website and volunteered to add Green Miles and Bike U links.
  • A new liaison will be needed to Technology Committee with Mike Kubes being an outgoing board member. The Committee asked for Board Member Dick Stardig to be liaison and Dick has agreed.
  • Michele Brougher is interested in the joining of Membership system with Ride Stats system. Kristi Linder, from Membership Committee, attended the Technology Committee Meeting and she informed the committee what would be needed for this integration of membership to ride stats from a membership perspective. Bob Fix outlined the information needed and sent it to Michele. A meeting will be set up with Michele to discuss timetable. Scott Larson and Mary Derks will be invited to the meeting with Michele.

Volunteer Committee – Mike Kubes provided an update from the Volunteer Committee.

  • Mike Kubes has been the Volunteer Committee Chair for many years and would like to step-down starting November 1st.
  • We will need to find a replacement for him.
  • Volunteer Committee also has been writing the Recognition Column. He will continue to do this until a replacement is found.

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported that we received numbers from Bob Fix for current Membership.

Membership continued upward growth; 100 additional members in what is usually a slow membership month.

Safety Committee – Dick Stardig reported there was one accident report filed for the month of September

Experienced rider in group was going around corner and bike tire slipped out. There was no gravel or bad pavement present and cause of accident is unknown. Fellow rider lived close and rode home to get car and drive him home. Fellow rider should be recognized in Recognition Corner.

Newsletter – Doug Nelson updated on Newsletter

Newsletter is close to being finished. Discussed the addition of Annual Meeting/Recognition Banquet which will again be on Zoom. Doug will use the same copy that he used for 2020 meeting. He will include the times for Break out Rooms and for Meeting. Discussed using the back cover to advertise the social hour.

Treasurer’s Report – Roger Fickbohm submitted the September Treasurers’ Report via email. Roger was not able to make meeting. The Board agreed to review report on their own time and call Roger if they had any questions.

 Roger also included the annual list of charitable contributions. Board had discussion of the history of the selection of charitable organization selections and how they all had something to do with the cycling community. Last year the amount of charitable donations was decreased and it was agreed that 2021 contributions should go back to the normal $4,000 total charitable contributions including changing the League of American Cyclists from $400 to $500. A motion was made by Mike Kubes to accept the proposed charitable gifts and seconded by Jean Hurlbert. There was no opposition, the motion passed. Gifts will be made to: Full Cycle, Express Bikes, Recovery Bikes, Midtown Greenway, Parks and Trails, Gateway Browns Creek, Move Minnesota, Free Bikes 4 Kidz, League of American Cyclists, and Bicycle Alliance. Ann Harris agreed to host an evening to get together to write thank you cards to these organizations. We will get checks from Roger and Ann will email with details on a date to get together. Jean Hurlbert agreed to email Roger with the details of the board approval of organizations and amounts.

Equity Committee – John Benda provided an update from the Equity Committee

John Benda has been getting feedback on the Equity Committee year. We reviewed the Board nominations in light of the Equity Committee mission and Board made determination to change the current board recruitment statement to “striving to recruit a board that represents the community we live in..”. Mike Kubes, who was on the nominating committee, pointed out that a 3-person nominating committee and a 3-week time period for nominating process was not enough people and too short a time period. This should be reviewed in 2022.

Old/Follow-up Business

Bike U – Edward Eroe, new President of Board of Regents for Bike U

  • Edward is setting up the new Board of Regents for Bike U, Shelby Miller volunteered to be on the Board of Regents.
  • Planning for 6 programs a year every other month. As of these minutes Bike U classes will be held virtually. We will work on recording sessions to make them available for later viewing.
  • Currently planning possible programs on history and environment. Discussed that one or two sessions should be safety related.
  • Other details discussed was paying an honorarium to speakers that are not part of the club and trying to avoid scheduling speakers whose main objective is selling something.
  • With current Covid number meetings will be held virtually. Participation in class will be online sign up. Currently our zoom capacity is 100.
  • When Covid numbers decrease, we will need to secure a space to have classes. Past classes were held at REI. Edward will consult with Board if he needs help securing a location.

Halloween Ride

Alex Johnson is buying box lunches for after the ride. She is wondering about registration deadlines so she can get a firm number on lunches needed to be ordered. Ann will reach out to Alex and have her call Bob Fix to get this taken care of.

Ride Leader Awards/Merchandise

Ann Harris has been working on T-Shirts and presented 2 mock ups for the Board. One with TCBC logo small on sleeve and one with TCBC logo on back. Ann had not received feedback from supplier regarding the QR Code so we still don’t know what size the QR Code would need to be to be readable. Suggestion was made to add the website. All Board Members preferred the T-Shirt with TCBC logo on back and not on sleeve. We will wait to see what supplier says about QR Code.

Board agreed to Order Stickers and Magnets and T-Shirts

                  Description                                                                               Amount to order

                  Black and White 4×6 Sticker                                                       500

                  Script 4×6 Sticker                                                                      500

                  Circle 5 x 5 Magnet                                                                   300

                  Circle 2.5 x 2.5 Sticker                                                               500

                  Script 2 x 3 Sticker                                                                     500

                  T-Shirts                                                                                     150

New Business

Board Nominations

Roles and logistics of nomination of 2 and appointment of 1 for the new board was discussed at last meeting but will be outlined at Annual Meeting. Jim will change the proxy vote to not include Rita. Rita has been informed of this process as well.

Shelby prepped the Board for the board meeting following the Annual Meeting. This is the meeting that officers are elected. Only new board members will be on the meeting. Determined that Monday November 15th will be meeting date at 6:30pm. Jim Pederson will add to calendar. The process of selecting officers is closed to outside and Jim Pederson will set up process same as 2020. Members are asked if interested or willing to be officer then a private vote is done. Have to have been on board 1 year to be a member.

Annual Meeting

Jim Pederson is working on the proxy vote.

Jim showed us what was used in 2020 ENews and Board agreed to do the same for 2021.

We reviewed 2020 meeting and will work with a similar meeting protocol.

Jeff Johnson prepared the Slide Decks for the meeting

Bob Fix did the spot lighting of speakers

Jim Pederson was working Mute Button

Bob Fix introduced the speakers

Speakers and Secretary were all hosts and can share screen

Bob Fix confirmed we will have all RideStats reported by meeting as current stats are pretty up-to-date – he will consolidate the solo and group rides as appropriate

Shelby Miller as President will put together the slideshow

Dick Stardig will run the election

Ride Leader Training will be done by Pete Hawkins/Patt Seleen

Ann Harris as Vice President will thank outgoing Board Members

Steve Scott will get slides from current sponsors

We will hold a practice session – including breakout rooms on Monday November 8th at 6:30. For breakout rooms Board Members are assigned a room but can move in and out of them.

Upcoming Events

Annual Meeting Practice Session – November 8th – 6:30

Annual Meeting – November 14th – 5:00 Break Out Room, 6:00 Meeting

Board Meeting November 15th – 6:30

A motion was made Mike Kubes to adjourn the meeting seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 9:08PM

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert