Minutes November 2021

Meeting Minutes for TCBC

November 15, 2021

Virtual Meeting 

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present:  Ann Harris, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, John Benda, Dick Stardig, Craig Larson, Rita Rowe, John Rogers, Jean Bentley, Roger Fickbohm

Non-Board Members Present:  Steve Scott, Doug Nelson, Pete Hawkins, Bob Fix

The meeting was called to order by Ann Harris at 6:30 pm.  

Jim Pederson was on hand for the vote process and Pete Hawkins explained the vote process.  Dick Stardig was only nomination for President and thereby elected.  Nominations for Vice President of John Benda, Ann Harris and Craig Larson were presented and Ann Harris was elected with 89% of vote for Vice President.  Jean Hurlbert was only nomination for Secretary and thereby elected.  

The meeting minutes from October 11, 2021 were reviewed and corrections made. A motion was made by Pat Diedrich to accept the meeting minutes, and seconded by Craig Larson.  There was no opposition, the motion passed.  

Reports and Committees

Ride/Stats and Technology – Dick Stardig, current board liaison, reported for the Technology Committee. 

We had in-depth discussion of the consolidation of the Neon Membership System into the RideStats System.  The initial driving reason for doing this was the increase in monthly expenses for Neon that incurred at 51% price increase this year.  Since our discussions on this started, Mary Derks has been in contact with Neon and re-negotiated this price increase.  We will reach out to Mary for confirmation in writing from Neon.  The Technology Committee provided the board with a list of advantages and disadvantages for using RideStats for membership or keeping our current Neon/RideStats Relationship.  Mary Derks, Membership Committee, also attending the technology committee meeting, provided additional comments to the board regarding advantages and disadvantages of that potential change.

Ride Stats were reviewed at annual meeting.  

Volunteer Committee – Shelby Miller has expressed interest in stepping in as Volunteer Coordinator.  Need to get confirmation of this.  Mike Kubes also did the recognition corner as part of Volunteer Committee.  John Benda agreed to help with this

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported that Membership is holding steady in slow months.    

Safety Committee – Dick Stardig reported there were two accident reports filed for the month of October.  Jean Bentley has agreed to step in as new Safety Committee Liaison.  Dick will advise her on what needs to be done.  

Rider going down a hill hit the blades of a forklift that was parked part way in the road and were being hidden by the shadows of the light.  The rider was unconscious until ambulance ride.  She was admitted to hospital and had displaced teeth, broken jaw, many abrasions.  

A portion of Big River Bike Trail and Sibley Memorial Hwy had orange construction cones that were misplaced. Rider hit one and went down and was unconscious for a couple of minutes.  911 was called.  Rider suffered concussion and sore hip.  Ride Leader, Johnny Pugh called Dakota County Parks to inform them of the misplaced pylons and they said they would be removed.  

Newsletter – Doug Nelson updated on Newsletter

Doug did a quick review of the previous newsletter content.  With new board there was discussion about newsletter circulation especially paper newsletters via online newsletters.  Doug pointed out that in the past Sponsors preferred that paper copies be sent.  Board agreed to follow-up with Sponsorship Committee.  Steve Scott said we are under 500 sent out newsletters and that 700 newsletters sent is the point that costs start to increase.  

For next newsletter Doug will do recognition of Volunteers of Year including all nominated.  Doug will get that list from Shelby Miller. 

Treasurer’s Report – Roger Fickbohm submitted the October Treasurers’ Report via email.  We did not take the time to review this report in-depth as we had just had the annual meeting and reviewed the year end financials.  Roger let Board know he is working on the new budget.  We also discussed the Audit report and request for documents that outline policies and procedures related to financial transactions.  Roger has financial transactions set on tasks of QuickBooks.  He can run a report of these tasks and he will get a copy to the Board.  

Equity Committee – John Benda did not have anything new to report

Old/Follow-up Business

Annual Meeting/Recognition Event 

Annual meeting attendance was 75 Zoom links.  Meeting went well and recognition should be given to Jim Pederson, Jeff Johnson, Bob Fix for making meeting run smoothly.  

Ride Leader Awards/Merchandise

Bob Fix will send out email to Ride Leader/Volunteers for T-shirt Sizes. The deadline is November 24th.  

New Business

Membership Communication

In response to email from member regarding one of the Board Bios, Board agreed to respond directly to member ASAP.  Rita has agreed to write a note to member, Craig Larson is willing to review all communication and John Benda will communicate directly with Member. 

In response to Member Forum post regarding the reinstatement of solo rides the Board had a lively discussion about the reasons previously discussed about solo rides and why we have not continued with them, including the main reason of no insurance provided.  We all agreed that this forum post deserved a response and Dick Stardig said he would make response and get it approved by Board before posting to forum post.  

Volunteer Opportunity

John Benda is organizing a group to volunteer at Free Bikes 4 Kidz.  He will post event on Forum, Facebook Discussion and ENews. He will try to get a daytime time slot for volunteer time. 

Strategic Planning

Pete has offered training for new board members.  We all agreed we would all like to attend something like this.  Pat Diedrich and Jean Hurlbert have suggested we set up a Strategic Planning Meeting for sometime in January where we could do the new board member training and strategic planning.  Rita offered her house for meeting and Jean offered her office conference room.  

ENews topics

Recognition corner, highlight new board members.  John Benda will provide content to Amy for this.  

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting December 13th – 6:30

A motion was made Craig Larson to adjourn the meeting seconded by Jean Hurlbert.    There was no opposition, the motion passed.  The meeting was adjourned at 9:06PM

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert