Minutes May 2021

Meeting Minutes for TCBC Board Meeting

May 10, 2021

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Shelby Miller, Ann Harris, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, Mike Kubes, John Benda, Dick Stardig, Craig Larson, Roger Fickbohm, Tammy McLemore

Non-Board Members Present: Pete Hawkins, Jim Pederson, Kate Kovar, Doug Nelson, Steve Scott, Patt Seleen, Lyle Quimby

The meeting was called to order by Shelby Miller at 6:30 pm. The meeting minutes from April 12, 2021 were reviewed. There were corrections made by Secretary. A motion was made by Ann Harris to accept the amended meeting minutes, and seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

Ride/Stats and Technology – Mike Kubes provided an update from Technology Committee.

The Technology Committee would like to open up electronic registration for rides for the ride leaders that prefer this option.

  • Ride leaders would put in the ride description that electronic registration is available to ride participants
  • Electronic registration is only an option not mandatory
  • Electronic registration shuts off at 1 hour prior to posted ride time
  • Patt Seleen suggested doing a write up of these guidelines for ride leader materials
    • Mike Kubes will work with Pete Hawkins and Patt Seleen on language for this new option. Post new option in calendar, ENews, Homepage of Website and Facebook Discussion are a few options given.

A motion was made by Mike Kubes to add online registration, seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion was passed.

Currently there is a bug in Ride Stat program showing a widget for online registration but it is not going anywhere. A fix is being worked on. Mike Kubes agreed to communicate this to members.

Volunteer Committee – Mike Kubes provided an update from the Volunteer Committee. There are no changes.

We still have no volunteer for Bike U Coordinator we will keep reporting this open position in newsletters and ENews.

Safety Committee – Dick Stardig reported there was one solo ride accident. Rider was unaware of surroundings and crashed. Rider was only person involved in accident and rider was ok. Accident report was filed.

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported that we received numbers from Bob Fix for current Membership. With group riding started membership is starting to climb.

There were questions from Kristi Linder regarding membership reminders sent by Kristi – a post card that gets mailed. She is inquiring if we want to continue this? The board had further discussion. A motion was made by Pat Diedrich to send postcards out two weeks after cancellation of membership, and seconded by Mike Kubes. There was no opposition, the motion passed. Jean Hurlbert will notify Kristi.

Newsletter – Doug Nelson provided an update for the Newsletter

Doug reported that newsletter was sent out. He will put out an appeal if information is needed for upcoming issues.

Equity Committee – John Benda and Tammy McLemore provided an update from the Equity Committee

Equity Committee is looking for volunteers for the BikeMN 3 1/2-hour Ambassador Training Program. Notice was sent out and as of meeting date 4 were signed up. Training is June 5th at Cherokee Park in St Paul. Committee is reaching out to already scheduled programs and events to see if bike rodeos can be added to their program.

Committee also discussed adult learn to ride opportunities. They suggested a new ride level – E3 (Easy, Educational, Enjoyable) Board made decision to add the E3 rides as a subcategory of the C Rides. Jim Pederson will add this subcategory to webpage. Board encouraged committee to check in with Carolyn Caswell and Paul Frenz who have been leading new rider rides for quite some time to compare thoughts and ideas.

Treasurer’s Report – Roger Fickbohm submitted May Treasurers’ Report

  • Reviewed Balances as of April 30, 2021
  • Reviewed Annual Comparison
  • Reviewed April 30, 2021 Balance Sheet
  • Reviewed April 30, 2021 Profit and Loss
  • Profit YTD was positive for first time in many months.
  • Roger clarified that the entry to reflect offsetting expense associated with the advertising revenue will only be made one time during fiscal year and will be made at end of the year.

Old/Follow-up Business

TCBC Discussion Group

Mike Kubes is requesting a Code of Conduct for TCBC Discussion Group. Several Board Members that are members of other discussion groups are familiar with this group guideline and agreed. Mike will take care of this.

Status of Group Riding Season

With updates of current CDC Guidelines Board agreed to remove the mask mandate and make them optional. Agreed to continue encouragement to riders to take personal responsibility and respect the needs of fellow riders. Dick Stardig agreed to put language together that can be used for website, ENews, and other pertinent places. Dick will send content directly to Jim Pederson and Patt Seleen.

Status of Solo Rides

With confirmation from Pete Hawkins that there is no insurance coverage for Solo Rides once Group Rides start, we agreed to not pursue keeping solo rides at this time.

New Business

Ride with GPS

Johnny Pugh is replacing Glen Olson as RWGPS support

Mainstreet Monday

Communication was sent to Board by Meet-Up Group (TCBM) Ride Leader of the Mainstreet Monday Ride. It appears that there is a TCBM Ride and a TCBC Meet-Up Group meeting in the same parking area at the same time for the Mainstreet Monday Ride. Board Members, Shelby Miller and Ann Harris attended a Monday Ride and spoke with both leaders. There is a history to this ride but it appears that they are each doing different routes and the parking area is big enough for both groups. It also appears there is some opportunities for the groups to have both rides. At this time the Board is opting to not do anything formal. Pat Diedrich will reach out to TCBM ride organizer to discuss and perhaps highlight some of the options for collaboration.

TCBC Recruitment

Board reviewed proposal sent by Pete Hawkins for helping get new members since we can no longer have non-member riders after their first ride. Discussions of new member pricing included

  • 1st year reduced pricing of $10 for member and $20 family
  • One month trial membership of $10

Jean Hurlbert agreed to reach out to the Membership Committee (Mary Derks, Chair) and to send a copy of Pete’s proposal and see what observations they have so we can better make decisions.

Board Resignation

Tammy McLemore tendered her resignation from the Board of Directors. She plans to continue being part of the Equity Committee. The Board thanked her service and guidance.

We need an additional person to fill Tammy’s position. The Board was asked to think of people that may be interested and get a written bio if possible.

ENews

  Reviewed ENews Assignments from above: Mask Mandate – Dick Stardig, Registration Widget – Mike Kubes, E3 Rides – John Benda, Reminder of store open 1st part of month.

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting June 14th

A motion was made by Mike Kubes to adjourn meeting, it was seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 10:06 pm.

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert