Minutes March 2023

Meeting Minutes for TCBC

March 2, 2023

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Dick Stardig, Gordon Fink, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, John Rogers, Jean Bentley, Roger Fickbohm, John Benda, Ann Harris, Craig Larson.

Non-Board Members Present: Pete Hawkins, Doug Nelson, Kate Kovar, Jim Pederson, Dan Miller, Carol Fitzgerald, Deb Eardley, Lyle Koehler

The meeting was called to order by Dick Stardig at 6:30 pm.

The meeting minutes from February 13, 2023 were reviewed and changes made. A motion was made by John Rogers to accept the meeting minutes as changed and seconded by Pat Diedrich. A note was made by secretary to use “Ride Calendar” in future minutes. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Ride Calendar Alternative Activities

Board met with guest members to discuss non-biking activities being posted on the ride calendar. We reviewed we have insurance for walks and hikes but not for skiing or snowshoeing. Activities have to be put on ride calendar by active ride leader. People who attend activities would have to be active members. The guest members who attended, and who are some of most active people doing these activities, are fine with how the system is currently set up. Alternative activities are logged on the group forum. They liked the idea of putting flag on the ride calendar to direct people to the group forum. A question was posed about safety concerns about posting on public forum. Discussed that the ride calendar is also public and a reminder was given about leaving valuables in vehicles. A motion was made by Gordon Fink to keep posting alternative activities on forum with a link from ride calendar and allow active ride leaders to post walks on the ride calendar with insurance coverage. This was seconded by Pat Diedrich. There were 2 board members opposed.

Meeting Length Discussion

  • Board minutes will be sent to Doug Nelson and President for review and then sent to all board members for review prior to the next Board Meeting.
  • Committees should send reports to board members prior to meeting.
  • President will get pertinent meeting information out sooner.
  • If topic is taking too long defer topic to next meeting or perhaps defer back to committee.
  • Prioritize the most important and time sensitive business items

Reports and Committees

RideStats and Technology – Gordon Fink, reported for the Technology Committee.

Since our scheduled meeting was early, the technology committee had not yet met that month. Gordon reported that Michele gave us a cost to update gender options. $120/25 hours – $3,000. She will cap at 20% or $3,750 since she does not know how many hours it will take. She would like it done by end of April. Feature would manage gender options and associate gender with mileage tracker. This topic will be discussed at committee meeting and see if we have any options on negotiating the price. (See old business for further discussion)

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported on the membership report provided.

Jean reported on membership report that was sent to Board.

Safety Committee – Jean Bentley reported for Safety Committee

No incidents to report.

Equity Committee Report – John Benda reported for Equity Committee

Committee heard from Soren Jensen regarding the sign TCBC is sponsoring on the Midtown Greenway at Hiawatha. The club gets to decide when we do maintenance on this trail section. John will send some dates to board.

Minneapolis Public Schools – Bike U Program will be looking for volunteers. Schools get the fleet of bikes to use and tcbc volunteers would help schools with learn to ride program.

Newsletter – Doug Nelson

Newsletter is done. Next newsletter information is due April 6th for May/June Issue.

Treasurer Report – Roger Fickbohm

  • Reviewed Operating/Savings/Investment and Bank Balances as of February 28, 2023.
  • No uncashed checks, accrued expenses $1,133.24 RideStats for 2023 FY- based on 1,511 members at $2.25 = $3,399.75
  • Open invoices for sponsors $1,700
  • Outstanding invoice for Ed’s Trophies, Roger needs details on what paid invoice was for and will get from Patt Seleen or Linda Johnson.

Jersey Committee – Ann Harris

Jersey Committee is having a Fit Party at Markets at Malcolm Yards on March 20th 5pm to 8pm. Will also try to have fit kit available for Swap Meet. Orders will need to be in by April 7th to receive in time for Spring All Club Ride. The store will be open by March 24th. Need to get email sent to membership, have Jim Pederson put on website and get information put on Facebook Discussion Group.

Old/Follow-up Business

Gender ID’s – Neon and RideStats Update

Gordon is going to check what the breakdown of projected quote from Michele of $3,000 consists of. Does this include the API Key fix they are working on with Neon. Gordon will discuss with Bob Fix. Reviewed email from membership they want 3 categories, Male, Female, Non-Binary. Equity Committee wants Male, Female, Non-Binary, Preferred not to respond, Not mentioned above (free text option). John Benda said that Non-Binary is now commonly used and accepted. Board discussed adding categories to Neon and RideStats that would be Non-Binary and Select the Gender you identify with that has a drop-down box with various gender ID’s. Requested technology committee should ask the question of what would be the most beneficial update for Michele to update RideStats. Find out if we can negotiate on price and email board to make final decision.

New Business

Nominating Committee

A committee needs to form for nominating a new board member to replace Ann Harris who is finishing her 6-year term. One board member needs to establish this committee and find two non-board members to be part of the committee. Dick Stardig made a request for a board member to volunteer. Jean Hurlbert accepted.

ENews

March 15th include Ride Leader Forum, Alternate Activities, Ride Leader Picnic (Dick and Pete), Spring All Club Ride (Doug N.) New Jerseys (Ann H.) Bike U – Minneapolis Public School Connection (John B.)

VIP Picnic and July 4th Picnic

Dates have been picked out for both rides. Doug did update on July 4th picnic and Spring All Club Ride. Venues and parking have been secured. We will need to come up with rain options. Bob Floyd is working on Spring All Club Ride Routes. Tabled further discussion to next meeting.

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting, April 10th

New Leader Training – February 21st and 23rd (Zoom)

New Leader Training – March 13th and 15th (Zoom)

All Ride Leader Forum – April 11, 2023 (Zoom)

Ride Leader Picnic, June 25, 2023

Gordon Fink will not be at the next board meeting. He will send committee notes and possibly a replacement person to attend meeting. A motion was made by Craig Larson to adjourn the meeting seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 8:41pm

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert