Minutes June 2023

Meeting Minutes for TCBC

June 12, 2023

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Dick Stardig, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, John Rogers, Jean Bentley, John Benda, Gordon Fink Absent: Craig Larson, Roger Fickbohm and Ann Harris

Non-Board Members Present: Doug Nelson, Steve Scott, Pete Hawkins

The meeting was called to order by Dick Stardig at 6:30 pm.

Reviewed the meeting minutes from May 8, 2023. A motion was made by Gordon Fink to accept the meeting minutes and seconded by Jean Bentley. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

RideStats and Technology – Gordon Fink reported for Technology Commitee

  • RideStats updates
    • Neon API work still in progress. Neon was returning some non-members and getting errors on known correct members. Tech Committee has asked Kristi to look into the differences between what the API returns and what her SQL query returns but have not heard back. Dick will follow-up with the Membership Committee.
    • Gender updates can’t proceed until API project is complete. Tech Committee suspect gender updates may come along automatically when the Member updates occur.
    • Committee will ask Michele to re-quote the Non-binary gender work when the API is working.
    • Michele will probably not work on the Gender updates until 2023 riding season is over.
    • We will be able to determine total mileage for Non-binary members using the End-of-Year reports. This report can be run anytime we want that information.
    • The Rider Statistics page allows filtering by Male and Female mileage. Tech Committee proposes we add a Non-binary filter to this page. The Board discussed asking Michele to add a filter that would be available to all riders not just Neon and RideStats. In addition to adding the Non-binary work we should ask Michele about adding this feature and what the cost would be.
  • Email service issues
    • Tech Committee requesting moving to another email site. They looked at Google for Non-Profits which allows basic users to have free email and hosting. The Tech Committee will do some testing; they will wait until email volume is low. We could perhaps migrate to Google Meetings. This may work or may not work. There may be other options. Bob and Jim have done research on this in the past. Siteground was another option discussed.

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported on the membership report sent.  

Reviewed Membership report provided by Membership Committee. Membership is trending down. We have received some ideas from the Membership Committee for increasing membership. Discussion was part of new business.

Safety Committee – Jean Bentley reported for Safety Committee

No Accident reports for May

Discussed the TCBC Riders that helped at TOL Accident of Non-TCBC Members

Discussed using the “Car Back” Statement and reminding riders at ride briefings.

Equity Committee Report – John Benda reported for Equity Committee

On May 16th a dozen TCBC volunteers cleared trash from our section of the Midtown Greenway for the first time. Afterwards, a group gathered for food and beverages at Matt’s Bar. On June 3rd we had a ride for New Members. There were 19 riders. It was an easy paced (“C”) social ride and it passed by a number of iconic Minneapolis locations. We’re planning another new member ride for July 22nd (tentatively). We are planning Juneteenth Ride on Monday, June 19th. The ride will stop by Juneteenth West Broadway Block Party. We are looking at tabling at Open Streets event again this year. Planning on the Open Streets West Broadway on September 16th. Board approved $100 registration fee. The Committee will also be looking for volunteers for St. Paul Classic on September 10th. We would have a table and volunteers doing helmet fitting. Board approved $250 for table.

 Newsletter – Doug Nelson

Doug and Steve are wrapping up the Newsletter. Dr. Tony Stifter passed away in June. Doug will put a brief mention of this into the newsletter and do a longer memorial in the Fall issue. Gordon will add Bob Fix into the Recognition Corner. Other items to be covered in Newsletter are Dorian Grilley Retirement and the New Bike Law that goes into effect August 1st.

Treasurer Report – Roger Fickbohm

  • Reviewed Operating/Savings/Investment and Bank Balances as of May 31st.
  • No uncashed checks, Accrued Expense – $1,983 – Ride Stats for FY 2023 – based on 1,511 @ $2.25 = $3,399.75
  • Open Invoices for Sponsors $520.00 as of May 31st, check will be mailed by Sponsor.
  • Prepaid Expense Post Office $266.56 – Steve Scott Owner & $177.83 – Thompson Park North Shelter June 25 Leader Picnic – Banquet rental Nov $300, VIP Picnic $175 and Fall All Club Ride $150

Banquet Committee- Dick Stardig

Planned for Sunday, November 19th. The site has been reserved in Fridley. Ride leader gifts have been decided as Erik’s Bike Shop Gift cards.

Old/Follow-up Business

Nominating Committee

Jean Hurlbert has gotten Scott Larson and Diane Ziemer to be part of nominating committee. We have sent out one request and waiting for response.

Sponsorship Committee

Nancy Quimby is stepping down from her position on the Sponsorship Committee. Dick has a few people in mind and we came up with a few other names. Jean Bentley will reach out to these people. Also discussed advertising on the forum.

TCBC Booth at Twin Cities Marathon Expo

Board made a motion to approve having a booth at Twin Cities Marathon Expo. Jean Hurlbert made a motion with second by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition the motion was passed.

New Business

Ride Leader Picnic

Pete Hawkins reported on the upcoming Ride Leader Picnic. The budget came out about twice what was planned for. 70 people at $30/person $2,100, shelter $180, misc expense $120. Total $2,400.

Talked about future of this picnic and all agreed it was too much expense. Talked about possibly combining with VIP Picnic. Jean B made a motion to accept the proposed budget and second from John B. There was no opposition the motion was passed.

Bank Account Changes

The Finance Committee met and they have gotten updated signers for the bank accounts. Current signers are now Roger Fickbohm, Dick Stardig and Pat Diedrich. The bank account was also changed from a non-interest bearing to interest bearing.

TCBC has $43,000 of operating reserve fund in a money market earning 1%. Of that amount, $18,621 was identified as restricted funds in 2015. These restricted funds represent 6 months of core operating expenses (based on the TCBC Operating Reserve Policy) and cannot be used for expenses without a resolution from the board. The remaining funds are considered excess operating reserve funds. The Finance Committee is authorized to make recommendations on how to invest these funds. The Finance committee invested $40,000 of the operating reserve funds (including restricted funds) in a 13-month certificate of deposit, which will earn 4.15% annually. Annual interest income on the CD is $1,660 versus $400 on the money market, for an increase in profit of $1,260 over the next year. The Committee also recommends increasing the restricted funds to $19,000.

Jean H made a motion to accept the Finance Committee recommendations with second by John B. There was no opposition the motion was passed.

eNews for Aug-Sept since no July meeting

Since we do not have a meeting in July we need to be prepared for emails from Amy and Dick to get content for eNews.

Proxy Voting Process

The master calendar says to establish proxy voting process. Jim Pederson sets this up before annual meeting.

Membership Concerns

The board reviewed the communication from the membership committee about membership status and the decline of membership. Such suggestions were offering more rides on the evenings and weekends. Our calendar is heavy on daytime rides during the week. Work on getting more recurring weekly rides. Discussed communicating more with leaders to get A/B Ride Leaders to join up with B or B/C ride leaders and visa versa. Get more ride leaders to utilize meet up calendar, consider adding a Ride Director Position and encourage leaders to schedule rides in advance. Discussed using a mentorship program for ride leaders. We currently have Ride with GPS mentors for all aspects of leading rides.

We all agreed that we need to continue communication on this.

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting, Monday, August 14th – Dick may have a conflict but will let board know.

Ride Leader Picnic, June 25, 2023

A motion was made Jean Bentley to adjourn the meeting seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 8:40pm

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert