Minutes July 2021

Meeting Minutes for TCBC Board Meeting

July 12, 2021

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Shelby Miller, Ann Harris, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, Mike Kubes, John Benda, Dick Stardig, Craig Larson, Roger Fickbohm, Pete Hawkins

Non-Board Members Present: Jim Pederson, Kate Kovar, Doug Nelson

The meeting was called to order by Shelby Miller at 6:30 pm. The meeting minutes from June 14, 2021 were reviewed. A motion was made by Mike Kubes to accept the meeting minutes, and seconded by Jean Hurlbert. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

Ride/Stats and Technology – Mike Kubes reported that since July is not a normally scheduled Board Meeting there was not a Ride/Stats and Technology Committee Meeting. He did email to all Board Members current Ride/Stats from the website for review.

Volunteer Committee – Mike Kubes provided an update from the Volunteer Committee.

  • Looking for three new Board Members
  • Still Looking for Bike U Coordinator

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported that we received numbers from Bob Fix for current Membership.

  • June was another good membership month.
  • We have surpassed 1,000 members for the first time since 2019.
  • Membership numbers were sent to Roger Fickbohm and Pete Hawkins.

Safety Committee – Dick Stardig reported there were three accident reports filed for the month of June

  • Accident involving erratic driver hitting cycling group. 911 was called and there were some injuries. Accident report was filed
  • Accident occurred when rider hit low space in pavement and went down taking the rider directly behind them down also. 911 was called and there were some injuries. Accident report was filed.
  • Accident occurred when inattentive rider ran into rider in front. 911 was not called and only minor injuries occurred.

 Newsletter – There was no Newsletter Report from Doug Nelson this month.

Treasurer’s Report – Roger Fickbohm submitted the June Treasurers’ Report and the Board did an abbreviated review of this report.

  • Reviewed Balances as of June 30, 2021
  • Reviewed that we are over budget in income and under in expenses YTD.
  • Reviewed increases in Neon One Membership Software. The fee has increased to $424/month a 51% increase since 2020. Roger emailed Mary Derks, Membership Committee, in June to review this increase and questioned whether Ride/Stats could do part of the Neon One functions. Mary did not approve of the Neon One price increase and is going to follow up. Mike Kubes said the Technology Committee is also reviewing this. Roger asked to be copied on future correspondence regarding this.
  • Reviewed the 14% increase in QuickBooks’s monthly cost.
  • Bank Balance is highest it has been since 2013.

Equity Committee – John Benda provided an update from the Equity Committee

  • Bike Rodeo is scheduled in Eastside Neighborhood on July 21 from 5:30 to 7:30. They are looking for volunteers. This event will be posted in ENews and on Website.
  • E^3 Rides (Easy, Educational, and Enjoyable) – John has made flyer to help gather interest in E^3 Rides.

Old/Follow-up Business

Nominating Committee

  • Per Article VI: Nomination and Election of Directors, A nominating committee must be formed. A current Board Member shall be director and a nominating committee of two or more is formed.
  • This Committee must be formed 120 days prior to annual meeting.
  • Mike Kubes volunteered to be Board Member Director of the Committee. He will look for two other people to round out committee. Many names were discussed as options.
  • A motion was made by Pete Hawkins to form an official nominating committee chaired by Mike Kubes., seconded by Jean Hurlbert. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

All Club Ride

  • Dick Stardig reported that the site has been secured for All Club Ride by Tom Brix.
  • Discussed routes will be 28/50/75/100 – Routes were still be finalized.
  • Discussed how event should be entered into ride schedule so we can use the online registration.
  • Discussed wanting to have leaders on the 28/50/75 and 100 miles routes that are A/B Ride Leaders, B Ride Leaders and C Ride Leaders. Want to make clear in ride descriptions that different level of Ride Leaders will be present as we do not want to discourage slower riders from doing more distance.

Annual Meeting Recognition Banquet

  • Evie Walters previously did this but is opting out of this year’s responsibility.
  • Looking for Board Member that will secure a venue for the banquet. Ann Harris, Jean Hurlbert and Pat Diedrich volunteered to look for this.
  • Roger will send the numbers spent for the last two banquets.
  • Pete Hawkins recommended checking out Event Center in Fridley a site previously used.

New Business


  • Dick Stardig will write about All Club Ride.
  • John Benda will put in a piece on the Bike Rodeo
  • Ann Harris will write a short narrative about what it took to organize the Halloween ride in October – see if we can’t get someone interested int doing this event.
  • Mike will write about 3 upcoming board member openings and the formation of a nominating committee.
  • Mike will put in Outreach Ride for August Ride – Bridge the Valley
  • Mike will put in Outreach Ride for September – Ride the Ridges (Event Sponsor)

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting August 9,

A motion was made by Jean Hurlbert to adjourn meeting. it was seconded by Shelby Miller. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 7:52PM

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert