Meeting Minutes for TCBC

January 8, 2024

Virtual Meeting

 

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present:  Dick Stardig, John Rogers, Jean Bentley, Gordon Fink, Rick Okada, Craig Larson, Pat Diedrich, Roger Fickbohm

Board Members absent: John Benda

Non-Board Members Present:  Pete Hawkins, Doug Nelson

 

The meeting was called to order by Dick Stardig at 6:30 pm. 

Reviewed the meeting minutes from December 11, 2023.  A motion was made by Jean Bentley and seconded by Gordon Fink to accept the meeting minutes.  There was no opposition, the motion passed.

 Reports and Committees

RideStats and Technology – Gordon Fink reported for Technology Committee

RideStats

The new version of RideStats was loaded on 12.25.2023.  Jeff Johnson and Bob Fix did the testing of this upgrade and it seems to be working well.  The committee believes it will be easier to use than past version.  The committee is working on written and video documentation of the new features.  This documentation will be used in the Ride Leader Training. 

 

Pete Hawkins discussed using the new system to put New Ride Leader Training on to the calendar.  He tried to edit this and it took him off as a leader so he could not fix it.  Gordon thinks this is a bug and Pete will report the problem to Bob Fix. 

 

The new updates make the calendar look different on the computer and phone.  Dick said the iPhone view of display is appearing better and could not speak for Android users.  The display on PC is showing more vertical and looking more phone oriented than PC oriented.  Gordon will see if the display can be made so you don’t have to do as much scrolling and see if view could be more horizontal. The system is made to work on PC and phone and recognize the correct platform.  Gordon will give board feedback to the Technology Committee and see what can be done to make this better.

 

Neon API and RideStats are integrated and get feeds twice a day.  This seems to be working well. 

 

Website

Jim Pederson handed the management of the website over to Mike Beadles.  The Technology Committee is looking for an additional member to be a second person to Mike.  John Rogers has volunteered to help Mike Beadles and be the back-up for Mike. John will also be a member of the Technology Committee.  We discussed inviting the new Webmaster to the next board meeting. 

 

Ride with GPS

Bob Fix and Johnny Pugh are archiving routes.  These routes are still available in Ride with GPS.

 

Social Media

We have 3,200 members on Facebook Club Page and 1,100 members to the Facebook discussion group.  Board discussed doing a Facebook advertising campaign to try to get new members.  There is a cost for this advertising.  Need to discuss with Membership Committee. 

 

TCBC Domains

We currently own three domains:  biketcbc.net, .org and .com.  The .net domain is not really used and we really don’t’ have to keep it.  The cost is $22 and the Board thinks this is reasonable cost and worth keeping it so we don’t have any potential problems down the road if we let it go. Gordon will let the Committee know we want to keep all three Domains. 

 

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported on the membership report sent.    

Reviewed Membership report provided by Membership Committee.  We discussed low membership revenue for month and the loss of renewals.  We need to review the recommendations the membership committee had to help increase membership.  One of these ideas was increasing rides on the ride schedule.  We need to review and integrate ideas into New Ride Leader Training and as part of the Ride Leader Forum.

 

We discussed doing Facebook Advertising based on large members we have following Facebook and Discussion Groups. Mike Beadles has experience with this we will talk to him about this.  We should also discuss with Membership Committee.

 

 Jean H. will get Membership Survey for non-renewals from Mary Derks every month. 

 

Safety Committee – Jean Bentley reported for Safety Committee

Had one Mt Bike accident at Willow River on technical feature.  Rider is experienced rider but sustained broken arm and will require surgery.  Insurance liaison has talked to member.    

 

Equity Committee Report – Dick Stardig reported for Equity Committee

John sent message that he encouraged attendance to Bike U Event on January 25th.  Michael Wojcik, the new Executive Director from Bike MN will be speaking about bike advocacy. 

 

The Committee is still working on the grant initiatives.  Pete Hawkins has made a suggestion for the Grant initiative to have someone who could teach bicycling.  LAB has certified instructors (this is a paid position).  This could also be helpful for our new members.  Need to review what other organizations are doing for this. 

 

The new member ride letter needs some updating.  Dick will let Membership Committee know of these changes. 

 

Newsletter – Doug Nelson

This was a off newsletter month.  The current issue turned out good and we needed NO old articles and turned one new article away.  Doug was elated.  February is the next newsletter month.

 

 

Treasurer Report – Roger Fickbohm 

Roger reviewed the financials. 

  • Operating Funds Account # 100-10 – $23,667.82
  • Operating Reserve Savings # 101-10 – $3,133.40
  • Certificate of Deposit Matures July 2024 #101-20 $40,000 – Includes $19,000 Restricted Funds
  • Bank accounts reconciled to Bremer Bank as of December 31, 2023
  • All known invoices and deposits have been processed and posted.
  • Accrued Expense – $548.26 – Ride Stats for FY 2024 – based on 2023 actual.
  • Open Invoices for Sponsors $00- as of December 31, 2023
  • Prepaid Expense $494.89 Site Ground – Expense $44.99/month
  • Four outstanding checks – from the charitable gifts sent.

Accountant is working on tax return and should be available for February board meeting. 

 

Roger reviewed that according to the actual vs budget report we are currently right on budget.  The budget committee is scheduled to meet later in January. 

 

Old/Follow-up Business

 

Sponsorship Chair Search Committee

Mike Kubes has stepped up to be chair of the sponsorship committee. Kate Kovar has given him access of the google drive with all the documents and they are scheduling a Zoom meeting.

 

New Business

 

Club Tax Return

These will be available for the board to review in February.

 

Board Meeting Date Change

March Board meeting was changed to Monday March 4th.  Ride Leader Training scheduled for March 11th so we need to reschedule board meeting.

 

New Member Welcome Letter

Dick will contact membership committee with updates discussed. 

 

Ride Leader/VIP Picnic

Dates and site reservation need to be secured for Ride Leader/VIP Picnic.  Discussed having Ride Leader Liaison, Patt Seelen reserve the same location as the Ride Leader picnic in 2023.  Discussed doing this event earlier in the season.  Dates of Thursday June 20th and Thursday June 27th were discussed.   Pete will talk to Patt about reservations. 

 

Swap Meet

The Swap Meet is currently in the newsletter; information needs to go to ENews.  Doug will take care of this. 

 

LAB Insurance

Directors and Officers insurance is paid around January 15th, Pete pays this online.  The member insurance bill comes at the end of January. 

 

Club Non-Profit Registrations

Secretary of State registration will be done by Dick by end of January.  Attorney General registration requires copy of tax return.  When this is done in February Dick will submit. 

 

Gift Cards for Outgoing Members

Ann Harris did 6 years on board. To keep with tradition club does gift cards for $100 as token of appreciation.  We discussed and agreed we should get Eriks Gift Cards.  Dick will take care of the gift for Ann Harris. 

 

TCBC ENews

Items for February/March include Ride Leader Training and Ride Leader Forum.  Information is posted by Ride Leader Liaisons.  Should post reminder of Alternative activity events posted to ride schedule. Need to check in on future Bike U Events to make sure these get reported. 

 

Upcoming Events

 

Board Meeting, Monday, February 12, 2023

Board Meeting, Monday, March 4, 2023 (first Monday instead of 2nd)

 

A motion was made by Gordon Fink and seconded by Pat Diedrich to adjourn the meeting.   There was no opposition, the motion passed.  The meeting was adjourned at 8:16pm

 

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert