Minutes December 2022

Meeting Minutes for TCBC

December 12, 2022

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Dick Stardig, Gordon Fink, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, John Rogers, Jean Bentley, Roger Fickbohm, John Benda, Ann Harris. Absent: Craig Larson.

Non-Board Members Present: Pete Hawkins, Doug Nelson, Steve Scott

The meeting was called to order by Dick Stardig at 6:30 pm.

The meeting minutes from November 11, 2022 were reviewed and changes made. A motion was made by Jean Bentley to accept the meeting minutes as changed and seconded by Gordon Fink. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

RideStats and Technology – Gordon Fink, reported for the Technology Committee.

Technology Committee is waiting to get API Key from Mary Derks to continue Neon/RideStats project. It is more critical now to get this key as Michele has time to work on project at this time. Gordon will send an email to Mary Derks with this information.

Technology will use the guest type for the temporary memberships. They will add non-binary ride type. Michele will need more information on using data in RideStats for non-binary type. Had discussion about how RideStats would track information for Male, Female, Non-Binary, Other, or Do not wish to respond. After long discussion the Board agreed that RideStats would only be tracked for Male, Female, Non-Binary and that we would not offer questions on how new members want RideStats tracked for the Other category.

Will make request to membership to add Male, Female, Non-Binary, Other as membership type. With question on how new member wants RideStats tracked, Male, Female or Non-Binary. Would like to see this complete by mid-January.

The committee is going to see if doing indoor group Zwift rides is possible and feasible. Do as scheduled group rides maybe on meet-up; no tracking of mileage, join RWGPS. Gordon will report back to us.

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported on the membership report provided.

Reviewed Membership report provided by Membership Committee. Also discussed getting a written structure of membership committee, who does what and who can back up who. Jean will request this information from the committee. Board discussed under Old business getting the following done by Membership Committee: Temporary Memberships were set up as monthly and this should be changed to 30-day. Add non-binary protocol to Neon. Change the “how did you hear about us” options and volunteer options.

Safety Committee – Jean Bentley reported for Safety Committee

No incidents to report.

When members get emails after registering for a ride we may want to add a few safety bullet points. Request adding mirrors, lights and high visible clothing encouraged. This email to members comes from RideStats. We need to find out who controls this function. Jean Bentley will reach out to Jim Pederson to forward this request to the right person.

Equity Committee Report – John Benda reported for Equity Committee

John reported on Free Bikes 4 Kidz volunteer options. The last session TCBC had 21 volunteers.

We had discussion about the welcome paragraph of the website. The Equity Committee had a draft of a new Welcome Statement. The Board all agreed the following items were important items for this.

  • That we are welcoming to everyone – welcome bike riders of all races, cultures and abilities.
  • Make statement that we are a long-term club founded in 1993 and the largest club in Minneapolis/St. Paul.
  • Letting everyone know they are welcome to sign up for one ride and that club is for all levels of riders.
  • Move the options for getting involved in other activities to the Membership Page.
  • We do not think we need to state we are a non-profit 501(c )(3) Organization.
  • Talked about having a link on Website “About Us” Section that includes the history of TCBC.

John will work on an updated draft and email to the Board.

Newsletter – Doug Nelson

Craig Larson sent an entry for Recognition Corner and Dick will deliver it to Doug.

Treasurer Report – Roger Fickbohm

  • Reviewed Operating/Savings/Investment and Bank Balances as of November 30, 2022.
  • No uncashed checks, accrued expenses $283.31 RideStats for 2023 FY- based on 1,106 members at $2.25 = $2,448.50.
  • Steve Scott requested approval to leave $266.56 in pre-paid postage; this retains the non-profit permit at the post office. The Board agreed.
  • Annual meeting records were kept for future.

Old/Follow-up Business

Short-term Memberships

The Board worked on the verbiage of first draft for the Short-Term Member option. The verbiage was more of a marketing piece that Board agreed was good but perhaps not for the Join page of membership. Discussed we want to make sure it is Online Only and that you have to sign up online for membership. Dick will keep working on this.

Ride Leader Liaisons

Pete reported that the Ride Leader Committee is not ready to announce names of new liaisons but should be ready in January.

Ride-Stats – Cost Issue

2018 -2020 Cost $3,200 flat fee

2021 Cost 2,448.50 Fee dropped

2022 Cost $3,400 based on $2.25/member

Clean-up was done on non-active members and fee reduced during Covid. Michele has sent correspondence that she is losing money and does not intend to change the billed price. Bob Fix received new contract on December 9th. The new contract will be reviewed including reviewing the confidentiality, non-disclosures, non-compete clauses. This will be compared to previous contact where Michele stated she will not market personal data. Bob Fix is working the contact negotiation with Michele and all Board concerns should be sent to Bob. Gordon will follow-up with Bob.

We had discussion on whether the temporary memberships would be part of the new contract cost with Michele.

Leader VIP Gift Distribution

Emails went out to VIPs/Leaders on 12/11 stating these could be picked up from Ann Harris. Ann is receiving email responses. Currently there are 41 left to distribute.

New Business

Jersey Committee

Members, Ann Harris, Jean Hurlbert, Scott Larson, Shelby Miller, Tony Le and Barb Thurmes met November 28th and will be looking at vendors – Borah, Jack Rue, Pactimo, Podiumwear, Primal.

Non-Biking Activities

These are currently listed on the forum and a question was posed on whether these activities could be added to the ride calendar. This led to discussion about the issues we may run into putting these activities on the ride calendar or having a second ride calendar. Having a second calendar did not seem like a good viable option. We all agreed that if we don’t put on calendar we should have directions on social media of how to find these activities on the Ride Forum. Publish this information in newsletters and make it more prominent on website.

The Board could not come up with consensus on this topic and we decided to table this topic for further conversation.

Ride Leader Forum Update

Date April 11 on Zoom.

Master Calendar Review

Dick reviewed the master calendar and added reserving shelters to our calendar. 4th of July Shelter. VIP Picnic Shelter. Pete Hawkins will become the new liaison with LAB and will update the master calendar with pertinent dates as related to LAB.

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting, January 9, 2023

New Leader Training – February 21st and 23rd (Zoom)

New Leader Training – March 13th and 15th (Zoom)

All Ride Leader Forum – April 11, 2023 (Zoom)

Ride Leader Picnic, June 11, 2023

A motion was made by John Benda to adjourn the meeting seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 9:33pm

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert