Minutes December 2020

Meeting Minutes for TCBC Board Meeting

12-14-2020

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Shelby Miller, Ann Harris, Pat Diedrich, Mike Kubes, John Benda, Dick Stardig, Craig Larson, Tammy McLemore, Roger Fickbohm. Not present: Jean Hurlbert

Non-Board Members Present: Pete Hawkins, Jim Pederson, Kate Kovar and Doug Nelson.

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm. The meeting minutes from November were reviewed. There were several spelling and wording corrections made. A motion was made by Mike to accept the amended meeting minutes, and was seconded by Pat. There was no opposition, the motion was passed.

Reports and Committees

Ride Stats/Technology

Mike provided an update from the Technology Committee. The Tech Committee proposed getting rid of the map of solo rides on the ride calendar. It requires a great deal of work to maintain and appears cluttered. The board agreed that it should end at the end of this calendar year. There was also discussion about whether Solo Rides should continue concurrently with group rides once they are resumed, or whether it should be one or the other. The board decided to make a decision on this in the January meeting so that the Tech Committee would have firm guidance on how to proceed. There was interest in establishing an Instagram account for the club. Mike stated that he would get one set up.

Membership

Bob Fix provided a membership report showing a very small decline in membership from November of this year vs. November of last year.

Volunteer

Nothing to report.

Safety

Dick indicated that there were no accident reports from the past month.

Newsletter

Doug stated that the layout for the Jan/Feb issue was just about ready with only 2 reprints. Doug also asked for ideas on how to fill the back page. Several ideas were offered by Pat, John, and Ann. Doug also asked about who to list as New Member Coordinator. Tammy and John agreed to share that role.

Treasurer’s Report

Roger reported that operating funds and total bank accounts are up versus last year. Roger also requested that an adjustment of $4144 be made to the November fiscal 2021 budget for awards and recognition. Since there was no in person awards and recognition banquet this year, removal of that amount would make the budget more accurate. Mike made a motion to approve the adjustment and it was seconded by Dick. The motion passed with no opposition. Roger also stated that the year end audit of the club finances recommended a bank statement reconciliation by a board member. Roger will send an email to Shelby so that Shelby can reply that the bank account balances are consistent with those in QuickBooks. Roger expressed concern about the cost of Blue Pay and was asking for ideas on alternatives. Jim suggested contacting Mary Derks for ideas. Insurance for the storage locker rental was added to the budget. Roger also indicated that Free Bikes for Kids was now nationwide and asked whether we wanted to continue to support that organization. No action was taken by the board at this time.

Diversity/Inclusiveness

Tammy and John suggested that they be called the Equity Committee. Tammy discussed what comes next for the club, what is the club’s brand, and how do we expand it? Tammy gave suggestions of other organizations that the club could partner with and further market the club. Shelby suggested that Tammy and John reach out to these other organizations to explore possibilities and report back to the board. John asked about club brochures, which are available. John also asked about getting an electronic version of the brochure. Mike indicated that he could scan a copy for John. It was also suggested that Steve Scott could provide an electronic version of the brochure.

eNews

Shelby indicated he would like to see the eNews added as a standing item for the board in order to have more organization around content and due dates. This should make the task of getting the eNews out easier for Amy. Amy posts the due dates for the eNews on the Key Volunteers Forum, but due date reminders only go out to the key volunteers.

Old/Follow-up Business

Status of Group Riding Season

There was no change from current status.

TCBC Sweatshirt Update

John noted that the sweatshirt store was not open. Ann said she will look into getting the store reopened.

The board discussed the proposal from last month’s meeting to look into providing masks with the TCBC logo. After some discussion, the board decided not to pursue this due to the cost of the masks and that there may not be much demand for them since most people already have masks.

New Member Coordinator Role

Tammy and John will be sharing the New Member Coordinator role. They will be reviewing information received from previous coordinator Garry Glubka and will be updating the new member welcome letter.

Open Positions

The Bike U Coordinator position remains open. This opening will continue to be posted on the Forum and will also be in the upcoming newsletter.

New Business

Awareness/Review of Policy

There was a discussion regarding the club sending cards or flowers to club members that were ill or lost loved ones. Concern was expressed over the difficulty of being comprehensive in sending out these types of items and that it would be too easy to miss some people. The board thought it would be best for board members to reach out individually to club members who are ill or have deaths in the family.

File Sharing for the Board

Shelby previewed that Jim would be setting up file sharing for the board on the website. Board members would be recognized as such when logging in and that would allow access to a Board of Directors tab where the shared files would be stored. Also, Jim will be working on setting up a Board of Directors section on the Forum.

Virtual Happy Hour

Shelby shared an idea for a virtual happy hour that could be set up on the same night as long standing ride series such as TGIF and The Whole Enchilada. These could be hosted on Zoom by the ride leader. Jim and Kate may try a TGIF happy hour and will reach out to Mary Derks about The Whole Enchilada.

Meeting Dates for 2021

The board agreed that meetings will continue to be held on the 2nd Monday of the month at 6:30 PM. There was discussion about the board meetings being open to all members. Kate suggested putting that into the newsletter and that those non-board members wishing to attend could contact Shelby if interested.

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting January 11th

A motion was made by Mike to adjourn meeting, it was seconded by Pat. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 8:55 PM.

Meeting minutes recorded by Dick Stardig