Meeting Minutes for TCBC

August 14th2023

Virtual Meeting

 Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Dick Stardig, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, John Rogers, Jean Bentley, John Benda, Gordon Fink, Ann Harris, Craig Larson, Roger Fickbohm

Non-Board Members Present: Doug Nelson, Steve Scott, Pete Hawkins

The meeting was called to order by Dick Stardig at 6:30 pm.

Reviewed the meeting minutes from June 12, 2023. A motion was made by Pat Diedrich to accept the meeting minutes and seconded by John Rogers. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

RideStats and Technology – Gordon Fink reported for Technology Committee

  • Technology Committee does not actively meet June – August. Gordon Fink gave board following update on club technology.
  • Email services issue
  • Tech committee renewed the email hosting for another three months to give flexibility to look at other options. They will report back to board in November.
  • RideStats updates
    • Regarding the current discussion on Rider Limit on rides and the ability to close rides when that limit is reached (discussed in New Business) Gordon let us know that because of summer hiatus RideStats/Technology will not be able to help with this in August.

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported on the membership report sent.  

Reviewed Membership report provided by Membership Committee. Membership is continuing to trend down with renewals being a concern. The Board discussed the survey that was going out to non-renewals. We have not been getting this information from Membership. Jean said she will get status on this. The Board also wondered if there are other filters available in Neon that can pinpoint demographics of new members and of members who are not renewing. After our Ride Leader Picnic and the call for leaders to form ride leader groups on rides and fill some empty Saturday times we are pleased with the ride leader response. Albeit slow, Board Members were seeing some improvement. Jean will give report to Membership Committee and see what further direction they have for us and what further information they can provide.

Safety Committee – Jean Bentley reported for Safety Committee

Jean reported 4 accidents in July. One rider had cracked helmet, one lost consciousness and was taken by ambulance. These accidents were from not being able to stop and running into front group. In another accident, a rider hit a speed bump riding one handed, feel and suffered rib breaks.

Equity Committee Report – John Benda reported for Equity Committee

Dan Miller and John Benda led the 2nd New Member Ride of summer. There were 19 riders. The ride met and ended at Market at Malcom Yards. The next new member ride will be evening ride on August 24th also at Market at Malcom Yards. They put a call out to other ride leaders to help lead.

Did the Juneteenth Ride and stopped at many black historical places.

Dan Miller, Mike Beadles and John Benda volunteered with Mpls Public Schools helping maintain the fleet of bikes they use for their Safe Rides to School curriculum. This program gets all 4th and 5th graders on bikes. Mike volunteered for a second session.

The St Paul Classic on September 10th currently has 6 volunteers from TCBC signed up. Members will help participants with helmet fitting. We will also have TCBC Table set up inside the Como Lakeside Pavilion promoting the club. Put a call out for more volunteers for this event. They usually have a prize spinner (that was borrowed in the past) Board gave John permission to purchase one for $40. They are also looking for prizes for event. They will use stickers, mugs and t-shirts. John will coordinate with Dick Stardig and Ann Harris picking up these items. Jean Bentley is looking at doing a more visible sign for the helmet fitting. She priced them out at Andersons.com (they did bike swap signs) they are $50 with $44 for shipping. Jean is going to see if there are other options. Steve Scott will also look into getting signs from our printer.

Proposed next Midtown Greenway Cleanup to be Thursday September 7th at 6pm for an hour or so and social gathering afterwards.

Also planning TCBC presence at Minneapolis Open Streets on West Broadway on Saturday, September 16th from 11:00 AM to 5:00 PM. John will put a call out for volunteers for this event. Prize wheel and prizes will also be needed for this event.

Newsletter – Doug Nelson

Doug and Steve are wrapping up the October/November edition of the Newsletter. Doug was disappointed in response to request for information regarding Dr. Tony Stifter passing. Steve will add some information and suggested reaching out to past presidents.

Treasurer Report – Roger Fickbohm

  • Operating Funds Account # 100-10 – $37,942.87 – $2,687 Membership deposited Aug 4, 2023
  • Operating Reserve Savings # 101-10 – $43,123.56
  • Bank accounts reconciled to Bremer Bank as of Jul 31, 2023
  • All known invoices and deposits have been processed and posted.
  • Uncashed checks before Jun 30, 2023 – None
  • Accrued Expense – $2,549.79 – Ride Stats for FY 2023 – based on 1,511 @ $2.25 = $3,399.75
  • Reviewed Operating/Savings/Investment and Bank Balances as of May 31st.
  • No uncashed checks, Accrued Expense – $1,983 – Ride Stats for FY 2023 – based on 1,511 @ $2.25 = $3,399.75
  • Open Invoices for Sponsors $600.00- as of Jul 31, 2023 Prepaid Expense 1) Post Office $266.56, Steve Scott Owner, Banquet Rental Nov $300, VIP Picnic $175 Sept 12, Fall All Club Ride $150 Sept, Medtronic TC Exp Sept $1,158.75 – Total $2,050.31 – Steve Scott is going to see if we can close the Post Office Account.
  • Sock accounting – unsold, as of Jul 31st, inventory 40 Pair @ $252.00 – July Sales 1 pr @ $8 cost $6.30 – Net $1.24 – Total profit on 91 pr sold $130.69. See Attached Report. Understand we have 4th of July sales – will be accounted for in August. As of meeting reported that we had 14 pairs of socks left.
  • Roger plans to call Bremer – find way to transfer funds to members rather than issuing checks.
  • Board had comments on Ride Leader appreciation picnic regarding food as not being very favorable.

Banquet Committee- Dick Stardig

The Committee has not met yet but will soon to plan and implement items needed for this year’s Annual Business and Recognition Meeting including menu, registration deadline, website details, proxy voting, theme, gift cards, door prizes, sponsors invitation, sponsored group invitations, brochure process, cake, volunteer recruiting. Looking for a theme.

Old/Follow-up Business

Nominating Committee

Ride leaders have been recruiting at rides. The nomination committee will be meeting next week on Bam Bike Ride. We have some recruits but Jean needs help from riders who see these riders on rides. Scott Hagen, Mary Lou Heinz, Nelson Adamson.

TCBC Booth at Twin Cities Marathon Expo

Ann has reviewed the swag inventory and need to order Small and XL T-shirts. Ann will ask vendor to give us the bulk price. Ann will report back us. She will work on getting more swag inventory of t-shirts for more than TC Marathon event. Ann asked about getting and additional banner with updated jersey picture. Cost is $25 and this was approved by Board. We also need business cards. Steve Scott orders them and will review them and make a new card and get price for 1000 cards.

New Business

Halloween Ride

Pat Diedrich organized the 2022 Halloween Ride. The food vendor that was used was hoping we would use them again. Pat is willing to offer support but just cannot commit to being the primary organization person. Both Pat Diedrich and Ann Harris are out of town October 28th/29th so we need to look for other options. Some suggested Rita Rowe or Debra Eardley. Jean Bentley said she would ask them. If we use the same venue of Como Pavilion, we have set routes to use. Cost of box lunches were discounted and we have to get number of lunches in advance.

Charitable Contributions

2022 we did 10% of dues. When budget committee gets together, they will project total dues for 2023 and come up with 10% figure. At the next meeting we will discuss where contributions will go.

Budget Committee

Finance Committee will be meeting soon to work on the 2024 fiscal budget.

Ride Limit

Johnny Pugh put a forum entry asking for limits of riders on rides. He is currently limiting his rides to a certain number. He is shutting down registration when he gets to the limit. He is the only ride leader that has done this and feels it is safer and more considerate at rest stops. Mike Beadles has also used this technique. RideStats does not have a way of accommodating this at this time. We discussed that we do not have a large number of limited rider rides. We agreed that we are against if an additional rider shows up at ride and get turned away. Suggested using more ride leaders. We need to keep watching this issue.

Fall All Club Ride

Announcement has been made on website. Tom Brix has secured Ride Leaders. Rides are offered on the ride calendar. Currently working on RWGPS routes and reviewing Loretto rest stop because of bad railroad track crossing. Hwy 55 rest stop only has one rest room. Dick Stardig will see if Don Picard if available to take pictures.

New Logo

Discussed freshening up our Logo. Steve Scott will look at this. We need to decide if we want to tweak old or start fresh.

Ride Speeds Creeping Up

Rides seem to be getting faster each year as riders get stronger. Asked to remind Fall All Club Ride Leaders to hold the ride to the pace they have agreed to lead. Pete reminded Board that ride speed creep happens every year.

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting, Monday, September 11th.

VIP Picnic, Tuesday September 12th

A motion was made Craig Larson to adjourn the meeting seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 8:51pm

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert