Minutes April 2023

Meeting Minutes for TCBC

April 10, 2023

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Dick Stardig, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, John Rogers, Jean Bentley, Roger Fickbohm, John Benda, Ann Harris. Absent: Gordon Fink

Non-Board Members Present: Doug Nelson, Steve Scott

The meeting was called to order by Dick Stardig at 6:30 pm.

The meeting minutes from March 2, 2023 were reviewed and changes made. A motion was made by Jean Bentley to accept the meeting minutes as changed and seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

RideStats and Technology – Gordon Fink was absent from meeting but sent update

  • Gender/Mileage in Neon and RideStats
    • The RideStats custom programming quote is for accepting Non-binary, Male, and Female genders from Neon and adding a new non-binary mileage category to RideStats. The quote does not account for members selecting a mileage category that does not match their gender.
    • Any other gender values we decide to add would be treated as we treat gender selection “Other”: RideStats keeps track of the member’s individual mileage. For club statistics, their mileage is put into the “Other” category, the same way we treat guest rider mileage. This way the club receives mileage credit for the member/guest but they are not listed in a gender mileage category.
    • RideStats will use the value in the member’s Neon gender field. RideStats won’t keep its own table of gender values.
    • Michele’s quote is only for the gender work. She is doing all of the API (Application Programming Interface) work for free.
    • Gender in other services
      • Ride With GPS – Gender is not an account option. The few leaderboards that they have for “segments” are gender neutral.
      • Strava – Has four categories: Male, Female, Non-Binary, Prefer Not to Answer.
      • Garmin – Three categories: Male, Female, Prefer Not to Answer
  • TCBC Rides on Zwift
    • Summary of current ideas and plans sent to Board and Rider Liaisons
    • Topic will be re-opened in September in order to have a process by indoor ride season
  • Meetup integration
    • Chuck Faison will present actions to increase use of Meetup at the Ride Leader Forum

The board had further conversation on technology report. The cost to add ride mileage was discussed in March Meeting and is expensive. With Gordon absent from meeting the board was not able to question what negotiating is being done. Dick has several items to follow-up with Tech Committee on including doing manual searches of Non-Binary members, mapping the Non-Binary to “Other”, find out if Non-Binary Member can see their information if coded as “Other”.

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported on the membership report sent.  

Reviewed Membership report provided by Membership Committee. Pat Diedrich has some specific questions regarding the membership numbers but will follow-up with Jean and Membership Committee.

Safety Committee – Jean Bentley reported for Safety Committee

1 incident to report. Rider fell on ice while turning on Fat Tire Bike. Rider suggested that deflating tires more would help when there are icy conditions.

Equity Committee Report – John Benda reported for Equity Committee

We’re anticipating setting 2 dates to cleanup our section of the Midtown Greenway Trail. We’re thinking that the first would be in May, maybe the 10th or 17th, in the evening from 5:00 – 6:30 pm. We decided that it would be good to avoid prime riding time on weekends. The Midtown Greenway Coalition would supply bags and gloves and would pick up the bagged garbage following. We were thinking we could possibly park in the Habitat for Humanity Re-Use store which is along the section and will contact them for approval. We’re hoping to encourage folks to come out for a burger and beverage following. Once we see how the first cleanup goes, we’ll make adjustments and set a second date for late summer/early fall. The Board discussed committee report and settled on May 16th from 6:00 – 7:00 for Greenway clean up.

I also inquired about Herb Schultz’s bench which is currently trapped behind a chain link fence and in need of some refurbishing. We’re thinking it would be best to see if we can get it moved. One idea is to see if it could be moved in front of or across from the Freewheel Bike Center along the Greenway. Freewheel has been closed but is scheduled to re-open this spring. We’re looking into this. The Board discussed that Free-Wheel will not be re-opening the bike center. We could move bench but would have to pay for new cement slab at a cost of $1,000 or higher and the bench is not in great shape. Question was asked, “how much for a new bench”. Doug Nelson is going to do some research on the history of who led the charge on the placement of this bench bench. We will have further conversation about this.

There has been quite a bit of discussion (at least in Saint Paul) about the proposed separated bike trail along Summit Avenue. So, hopefully we can discuss it briefly and maybe promote the upcoming April 13th public hearing before the Saint Paul Parks and Recreation Committee as well as the April 17th review of the plan by the Saint Paul Planning Commission’s Transportation Committee. The Board discussed that we would not make a formal stand on this issue. John will publish the meeting dates and times on the Facebook Discussion Post. We could follow-up with newsletter article after decision has been made.

We had a Bike U event with guests from Minneapolis Public Schools explaining their bicycling education program and their need for volunteers. So, far we’ve heard back inviting us to participate in the community groups rides they have on May 3rd and June 1st. We’re still waiting to hear about other volunteer opportunities which should be getting rolling this month.

We’re hoping to start doing rides for new members beginning mid-May and plan on doing at least one per month from May-September. We’ll be meeting later this week to get rides on the calendar and then start reaching out to members that want to attend a ride geared towards introducing them to what a TCBC ride is like as an initial experience. John will reach out to the Membership Committee for email list of new members.

Newsletter – Doug Nelson

Everything has been put into the Newsletter by deadline. Doug has entered the recognition corner items of Linda Johnson and her work on the Swap Meeting, and the Jersey Committee.

Treasurer Report – Roger Fickbohm

  • Reviewed Operating/Savings/Investment and Bank Balances as of March 31, 2023
  • No uncashed checks, Accrued Expense – $1,416.55 – Ride Stats for FY 2023 – based on 1,511 @ $2.25 = $3,399.75
  • Open Invoices for Sponsors $320.00- as of Mar 31, 2023
  • Prepaid Expense Post Office $266.56 – Steve Scott Owner & $177.83 – Thompson Park North Shelter June 25 Leader Picnic

Jersey Committee – Ann Harris

109 Jerseys were sold

38 Shorts were sold.

We sold over $14,000 of merchandise so Pactimo did not hold us to the 3 orders per item minimum. The online store is currently back open on the TCBC website and will close on April 16th. They will continue to open and close the store monthly.

The board discussed having socks made to match the new jerseys. Ann has reached out to sock vendors and is working with the Sock Guy. They have Long Socks (9”) and Short Socks (6”) and we would have to have a minimum of 120 per size category. The cost is $50 for one-time Art Set-up and $5.50/each. Board thought we would sell for $6.50 or $6.00. Ann is working on design to match colors and design of jerseys. She is waiting for a sample of the color swatch,

The board made a motion, if we can get matching colors, to order 120 of the 6” socks. These will be sold at big events. With no objection the motion passed and Ann will finish the design with vendor.

Old/Follow-up Business

Annual Meeting

Jean Bentley, Ann Harris and Pat Diedrich are on planning committee. They will continue to be cost conscious when planning the event as it is the biggest expense of the year.

Potential dates for meeting: November 18th or 19th.

Committee will start looking at venues and will start looking at ride leader gifts for 2023. Dick Stardig suggested he would be leaning toward Gift Cards.

VIP Picnic

Agreed on the date of Tuesday September 12th. Location Island Lake Park (same venue as last several years) or Thompson Park. Dick will check the Thompson Park facility and Ann Harris will help do the reservations of the facility chosen.

Spring All Club-Ride

Bob Floyd is working on routes and making the routes even better than past years. Doug Nelson has been driving routes and they are looking great. Doug Nelson will post the ride on the Ride Calendar once he knows mileages from Bob.

July 4th Ride

Turtle Lake Shelter has been reserved for the July 4th ride. Plan to do a Pizza lunch like what was scheduled for 2022. The Pizza Place was very accommodating to weather issues. Talked about weather contingency plan and discussed, if possible, work on a delayed start for ride and lunch.

Nominating Committee

Jean Hurlbert is the board chair of nominating committee. Scott Larson has agreed to be on Committee and Diane Ziemer was thinking she would be but Jean needed to get confirmation. We have a couple people in mind that we will start talking to.

 New Business

Bike the Arb

The MN Landscape Arboretum reached out to TCBC to partake in their event – Bike the Arb on June 10th. We would have a table space and other bike related vendors will be on site. We will reach out to the Volunteer Coordinator and see if there is interest in volunteers to volunteer their time at this event. Jean Bentley said she would be willing.

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting, Monday, May 8th

All Ride Leader Forum – April 11, 2023 (Zoom)

All Club Ride – May 27, 2023

Ride Leader Picnic, June 25, 2023

A motion was made Jean Bentley to adjourn the meeting seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 8:40pm

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert