Minutes April 2021

Meeting Minutes for TCBC Board Meeting

April 12, 2021

Virtual Meeting

Roll Call/Meeting Minutes

Board Members present: Shelby Miller, Ann Harris, Jean Hurlbert, Pat Diedrich, Mike Kubes, John Benda, Dick Stardig, Craig Larson, Roger Fickbohm, Tammy McLemore

Non-Board Members Present: Pete Hawkins, Jim Pederson, Kate Kovar, Doug Nelson, Steve Scott, Patt Seleen, Bob Fix, Lyle Quimby, Mary Derks, Johnny Pugh, Tim Rand, Charlie Caswell, Edward Eroe

The meeting was called to order by Shelby Miller at 6:30 pm. The meeting minutes from March 15, 2021 were reviewed. There were corrections made by Secretary. A motion was made by John Benda to accept the amended meeting minutes, and seconded by Mike Kubes. There was no opposition, the motion passed.

Reports and Committees

Ride/Stats and Technology – Mike Kubes provided an update from Technology Committee.

Presentation is in order for Ride Leader Forums. Reviewed the RideStats presentation for the upcoming forums. Committee reported that Michele has done all developments that she will do for this year.

Volunteer Committee – Mike Kubes provided an update from the Volunteer Committee.

We still have no volunteer for Bike U Coordinator we will keep reporting this open position in newsletters and ENews.

Safety Committee – Dick Stardig reported there were no reported incidents

Membership Committee- Jean Hurlbert reported that we received numbers from Bob Fix for current Membership. Numbers continue to decline but April and May historically should be more active.

There were questions from Kristi Linder regarding membership reminders sent by Kristi – a post card that gets mailed. She is inquiring if we want to continue this? The Board did not resolve this issue and it still needs to be decided.

Kristi also wondered if expired members should receive ENews that announces the opening of group riding. Board needs to decide if she should forward this email list to Amy.

Newsletter – Doug Nelson provided an update for the Newsletter

Doug reported that he and Steve Scott have all they need to finish the newsletter minus one outstanding article. The Board reviewed group events and status of these listed events:

May 29th All Club Ride – Not to be held in 2021

July 4th – TBD

Fall All Club Ride – TBD

Bike Swap – Spring 2022

Halloween Ride – TBD

Bike U Events – Still looking for volunteer

Treasurer’s Report – Roger Fickbohm submitted April Treasurers’ Report

  • Reviewed Balances as of March 31, 2021
  • Reviewed Annual Comparison
  • Reviewed March 31, 2021 Balance Sheet
  • Reviewed March 31, 2021 Profit and Loss
  • Profit YTD was positive for first time in many months.
  • Roger is working on adjustments to reflect offsetting expense associated with the advertising revenue.
  • There are no open invoices. Invoices that come in are paid Immediately.

Equity Committee – John Benda and Tammy McLemore provided an update from the Equity Committee

Committee continues communication with BikeMN and helping them set up bike rodeo events. A motion was made by John Benda to proceed with requesting volunteers from TCBC membership to be part of the BikeMN Ambassador training program seconded by Mike Kubes. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The Equity Committee will communicate to membership about this program. Ambassadors will help run the Rodeo Programs.

Committee also discussed adult learn to ride opportunities. They suggested a new ride level – E3 (Easy, Educational, Enjoyable) John will write up description of this new level and present to Board at a future meeting.

Old/Follow-up Business

Status of Group Riding Season

Outside Members attended meeting to present and propose the Board postpone group riding, postpone ride leader training and continue solo rides.

  • Mary Derks – started presentation and made proposal of postponement and continuation of Solo Rides. Requested “Solo Rides” be changed to “Self-Directed Rides”.
  • Charlie Caswell – discussed the insurance, science and numbers of Covid and current trends.
  • Johnny Pugh – requested Solo Rides be a permanent option for TCBC Ride schedule. Suggested the offering of Solo Rides could offer a C rider be able to participate in an A Ride. Also allows people who can’t make it to group rides an option to still do rides.
  • Edward Eroe – Edward, having been on technology committee, discussed the systems recognizing the issues with having both types of rides. He suggested that group riding be postponed and a taskforce be set up to move technology toward a platform that could support both ride types.

These members presented a very good presentation. Questions and Feedback ensued. Discussions included, safety options of group ride vs solo ride, number of members doing solo rides, average age of club member as related to vaccination rates, the option of doing a solo ride during a group ride, the viability of insurance for group rides and solo rides.

The above-mentioned members excused themselves after the presentation and after all questions and feedback was done. The board thanked them.

Upon continuation of meeting, it was agreed by all that we had worked hard to make the best decision without influence from the outside. The board stood by motion made in March meeting to start group rides May 1 and stop solo rides on May 1. We also talked about reviewing bringing back solo rides in the future including:

  • Pete checking into insurance for solo ride program and if this is possible while we are doing group ride program.
  • Putting a few solo ride maps up on website for use of membership

New Business

Ride Leader Forum

Patt Seleen and Pete Hawkins will present the Ride Leader Forum. They requested Board Members sign up for one of the two mandatory meetings if they are not ride leaders. They will cover Covid protocol including masks, sanitizer, ride sign up protocol, and communication to riders. Pete will review the insurance protocol at Ride Leader Forum. Patt reported that we have had good response for the sign up of the mandatory ride leader training.

Reminder

Steve Scott reminded the Board that the deadline for each Newsletter is the 15th of month to give enough time for delivery on 1st.

Upcoming Events

Board Meeting May 10th

A motion was made by Mike Kubes to adjourn meeting, it was seconded by Pat Diedrich. There was no opposition, the motion passed. The meeting was adjourned at 9:31 pm.

Meeting minutes recorded by Jean Hurlbert